Astrochick 2000 - Build Your Castle

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

Astrochick 2000 - Build Your Castle

Post by walker »

Here's a ditty that came about from a collab with drummer/singer Deb Valle. We pounded this out "flying-by-the-seat-of-our-pants" style to submit for an album that the drum forum she's a member of is putting out. (Not sure which one - will follow up with that.) The name of the band/project is Astrochick 2000. Hey - why not?

'Build Your Castle'

I wrote the music and Deb wrote the words and came up with the vocal melodies. She drummed and sang; I did the basses and guitars. It initially came about after I tossed a bunch of spare riffs at her that I had been tossing around. Out of all the stuff I exposed her to, she chose the bizarre ||6/8, 7/8, 6/8, 8/8|| riff that ended up being the breakdown section. The rest of the song was built off of that.

Featuring the '68 4001 MG on both bass parts:

walker
Advanced Member

Re: Astrochick 2000 - Build Your Castle

Post by walker »

Just for kicks & giggles, here's an outtake from the breakdown section:

'Build Your Castle' breakdown
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

I could be hallucinating, but it sure sounds like you had the Bangles over, got them a bit ripped, and then recorded. I could swear that I hear Susanna Hoffs and Vicki Peterson on those vocals. You got that Rick sounding really nice. Good stuff, as usual. Tom
(uhhh, when you're done with the Bangles, could you please have them stop by....)
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Oh, wouldn't THAT be the dream session! And umm... sure! That's exactly how it went down!

Deb's played drums for a long time, but never sang on a recording before, or live for that matter. She could really do something with those pipes if she kept at it. Funny you mentioned the Bangles - I thought I heard a little bit of 80's band cohorts The Go Go's Belinda Carlisle in what she was doing. Someone else mentioned Joan Osbourne. I totally hear the Susanna Hoffs connection now, too.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

For those interested, this project was established on the Billy Ward website/forum.

www.billyward.com
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

After the dust settled from the "hurry-up offense mix," I did a remix and finessed it a bit. It's a markedly better sounding mix, especially the bass part in the middle, which I completely retracked after realizing that the original line was way out of tune. Awesome.

(Re)Build Your Castle
ricmic

Post by ricmic »

Great tune Bro. You're right, she has got great pipes. Being a bass player and a big fan of your 68, I would have liked a little more of it in the mix. Still a great tune. You keep playing it Mark and I'll keep listening. Mark
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, Mark. I actually pride myself on being able to keep the bass in a little more subdued role in this tune, as opposed to my usual dominant preference! (Except for the solo section, of course.)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The second mix sounds great, with the big midrange dip in the bass it definitely has a more subdude 8) feel to it as it has more bottom end being emphasized to just fill out the song.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Zackly, Jeffrey. And I think those who may complain that the 4001 doesn't have decent warmth in the bottom end >>>koff koff Geddy Lee koff koff<<< just haven't found the sweet spot within their amp's tone controls.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

And here's an OCBDM (Obsessive-Compulsive-Bass&Drum-Mix) for those who may be interested in hearing the bass relatively isolated:

Build Your Castle (Drum & Bass mix)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Lots of clicky high end along with that bottom end. 8) Kind of nu-metal, Fieldy-like, eh?

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”