New Toy - Epi Thunderbird IV Pro

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: New Toy - Epi Thunderbird IV Pro

Post by aceonbass »

I recently picked this up. It's a Gibson Blackbird. I've done a lot of parts swapping and modding on this one. It came with a beat up case, so I got lucky and found a brand new and rare-as-hens-teeth correct case on Craigslist locally. I swapped out the bridge for a Hipshot SuperTone, the tuners for Hipshot UltraLights with a drop-D tuner, replaced the endpin jack (I HATE these) with a real steel jackplte and Switchcraft jack, and added shielding and a master volume and tone control....and a new set of RotoSound Swing Bass rounds.The original on/off switch still works. It has a nice, dark humbucking tone and actually balances pretty well. I also love the 1.5" wide nut.
Attachments
Blackbird Bass 001.JPG
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Nice bass Dane. 8)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Cool bass, Dane. How well do you like the Polytune?

A guy I knew back in the early '70s had a T-Bird IV, that he ran through a Gibson Titan/Atlas (I don't recall which one, but it looked really cool, I remember that much 8) ) amp and matching 2-15 cab.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Nice bass Dane!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

jps wrote:Cool bass, Dane. How well do you like the Polytune?

A guy I knew back in the early '70s had a T-Bird IV, that he ran through a Gibson Titan/Atlas (I don't recall which one, but it looked really cool, I remember that much 8) ) amp and matching 2-15 cab.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

You mean the SuperTone bridge? Way better than the stock part since it makes complete contact with the body instead of just three points. It's also has greater adjustability. It uses the same saddles as their RIC replacement with walls in between them to keep them firmly planted in their channels. Don't know why they couldn't have done the same thing with their RIC replacement to keep the saddles from moving back and forth and wobbling.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

aceonbass wrote:
You mean the SuperTone bridge?
I thought I saw a Polytune on top of your amp in that photo. Maybe it's something else?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

LOL.....Good eye Jeff. I wasn't even thinking about that angle. I never use the Polytune function on bass because I just don't trust anything that will tune 4 strings at once (or maybe I just find it too confusing), but I find it more accurate and easier to read than the BOSS tuner I used to have. Took the Blackbird to practice for the first time tonight, and man this think killed. The skinny nut was such a pleasure to work with (wish 4003's had a narrower nut). The drop-D tuner made it possible to play the MUSE and Eurythmics tunes without changing to my 4004Cii 4-2-5 conversion. As I've gotten older, I find my hands stiffen up a bit sooner in the evening, so I can see where the Gibby will be my go to bass from the 3rd set on.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There is an interesting discussion going on right now on TalkBass regarding hand stiffening/cramps due to nut with/neck thickness variations and strap height.

Return to “The Low End”