'Years' - a Wendy & Bonnie cover

A round-table feedback exchange
walker
Advanced Member

'Years' - a Wendy & Bonnie cover

Post by walker »

A cover of the last tune they ever wrote together.

'Years'

featured bass is the '68 4001
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Re: 'Years' - a Wendy & Bonnie cover

Post by bartyclue »

walker wrote:A cover of the last tune they ever wrote together.

'Years'

Keep it up Mr. Walker and you're going to knock Geddy or Chris or Mr. Entwhistle off of my favourite bassists list. Oustanding playing and tone as usual. Mark Walker gets his own directory on my hard drive and my IPOD. Great tune!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

HA HA! Thanks, Brian! You're too funny. (*ahem* But keep it coming!)

This tune was a pain to mix - I give myself a C+. I compressed the hell out of the drums and they take up a lot of the same space as the bass. Plus those damn guitars always clutter things up! :lol: Seriously, I like the effect of how things turned out, it was just a bit challenging to make it all work, especially with two bass parts.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

walker wrote:HA HA! Thanks, Brian! You're too funny. (*ahem* But keep it coming!)

This tune was a pain to mix - I give myself a C+. I compressed the hell out of the drums and they take up a lot of the same space as the bass. Plus those damn guitars always clutter things up! :lol: Seriously, I like the effect of how things turned out, it was just a bit challenging to make it all work, especially with two bass parts.
I noticed that.. I like it.. gives it a real nostalgic sound.. to me at least. Great job brother.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Seriously you are an inspritation

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=405184&start=60
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Thanks, Brian! Gotta give props to the man who got so many of us psyched about Ricks: Chris Squire

Here's a bass-centric mix of 'Years' - just for you, buddy!

'Years' (Bartonic mix)
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

walker wrote:A cover of the last tune they ever wrote together.

'Years'

Hi Mark, As usual, you did a great job on this. The bass tracks just scream "Rick!". I need to find out how you master your tunes to get that full waveform.

Did your original post say something to the effect that you got Wendy's blessing on your cover? If so, please explain further. Would she have done a vocal for you? Are you friends, neighbors, relatives, lovers, etc.? C'mon, dish us some dirt........ Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Heh heh... well, sure - I'd like to say "All of the above" but I'm sure her husband of many years Paul Freeman would probably take issue with #4! Oh... we're not related, either, so no to #3 as well.

When I told Wendy that I wanted to cover 'Years', I asked her if she had written additional lyrics that came about after the demo. She had made reference to that possibility in the 'Genesis' liner notes. In their version, there are only two lines:

"Let the years run away from our lives
99 years can change you and I"

She told me that she had long ago written more words to 'Years' that are now "in a box somewhere." I asked her if she would be willing to share them with me for my cover, and also asked her if she had any additional arrangement ideas on the song since the demo is such a brief outline. She said she wanted to keep her lyrics under wraps because she may be re-recording some of those demos for a solo album, and mentioned that she might see if she can get Bonnie on board too. (nothing concrete there, but it's an exciting notion!)

So she encouraged me to write new additional lyrics of my own in accordance with my interpretation of what her original lyrics meant to me, and gave me her blessing to arrange it as I saw fit, too. This proposal was a complete honor for me, being a big fan of her W&B music. So I came up with the new lyrical outline including her original words and showed them to her. She said she really liked them, and found it interesting that I took the song in a very different direction from the unused lyrics that she had written.

I thought it was very poignant that 'Years' was the last song that Wendy & Bonnie ever wrote together, being about the change that the passage of time brings, which often includes growing apart. The separation of friends was the theme that seemed natural to go with.

I think it was Bonnie who mentioned that they had envisioned instrumentation eventually taking the "BAAAH ba-BAAAH ba ba BAAAAH..." parts, and to me that screamed horn section, so I went with that notion. The crazy vibraphone & glockenspiel breakdown is homage to the vibraphone that they sometimes played on their demos, 'Children Laughing' in particular.

Here are the words to my version of 'Years'

Let the years run away from our lives
See the wake disappear as we ride
Make the time for this day, side by side
99 years can change you and I

Years will change and go by
As we separate, "we" become "you and I"

What could be frightening may show a place
Where we know we should be and leave a trace

Years will change and go by
As we separate, "we" become "you and I"
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Here the original Wendy & Bonnie version:

Wendy & Bonnie - 'Years'

That first line always gives me chills!
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Mark, thanks for the remix. It would be cool to do this live with two RICs onstage...of course you would have to clone yourself. And your bass I guess. :shock: So did you play everything on these tracks as well as vocals? Great stuff.. just great.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Heh heh! Yeah, I'm still working on the cloning thing. Or if Ned's Atomic Dustbin was still around, I could hand it off to them.

I played everything on this track, including the drum programming. A female singer friend of mine was originally going to sing the higher part, but she contracted spinal meningitis and was laid out pretty bad for awhile. She's still on the mend. So I went ahead and did the higher part myself even though it's not in my "comfort zone."
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Man I love this Mark.. especially the bass centric mix obviously. Not that I'm taking anything away from the vocal version. Your tone... just so freaking amazing. I would love to see you play along to this like you did with some of your other covers. Something to think about on a rainy day perhaps.
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

That might be interesting capturing the two-bass aspect on vid. I need to figure out how to do the split-screen effect...
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

walker wrote:That might be interesting capturing the two-bass aspect on vid. I need to figure out how to do the split-screen effect...
Yes..yes I think you do :D
guitarist09

Post by guitarist09 »

Nice cover! nice playing and recording too!
Keep it up! :D

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”