Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Landscaping

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
gibsonlp wrote:Awesome!
How long did you have to expose the film to get the fluffy water effect?
I'd have to dig out my notes, and they are quite buried, I think. Going by my "standard" procedure, which is f32 as my standard F stop for most of the 4x5 photography, and given that this was made with a 90/8 Super Angulon, probably around 2 seconds (again, I'd have to check my notes, this was late afternoon so I may have used my ND.6 filter to cut down some of the light entering the lens). The hike up to this was a trip, if you are familiar with Bridalveil Fall in Yosemite Valley, this is near the base of the vertical wall of the fall and there is, approximately, a 1/2 mile climb up the rocks at the bass of the fall, pretty strenuous, especially given the large, heavy backpack with camera gear and hand holding my Ries J100/J250 tripod. I.ve done this hike twice, now, the first time in August 1984; at that time I was using my Canon F1 with a bunch of prime lenses and I have a cool series of Kodachrome slides looking straight up (while laying on my back) the face of the fall with water spinning around as it fell the 600 or so feet from the top of it. Obviously, this hike can only be done when the waterfall is at it lowest point with minimal water flowing, otherwise the water raining down can get over 3/4 mile away from the base of the fall. Kind of like in this overview of the valley that I made in April 1990. Note that Bridalveil Fall is near the rights side of the middle of this photo, which was, again, made with the 90/8 SA lens with a #25 red filter on the lens, the fall is about 610" tall, for a sense of scale, Half Dome is about 5-6 miles to the east and it's vertical face is 2200' and the top of Half Dome to the valley floor below it is 4900'; where the photo was made is around 7 miles to the west of Half Dome.
The clouds look nice in that shot, they really bring it together.
Do you do photos where everything is black and white, except a certain colour, like red maybe?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No, Ivan, these are all from real b&w film, remember film, oh wait, you're too young to remember film! :mrgreen: 8)

Back in the day, BD, we used, and still do, something that is made from a clear plastic substrate that has a silver halide and gelatin (yes, you could eat it, if you really want to) emulsion coated on it that is light sensitive. Yes, there is color versions of film but we don't need to spoil the beauty of great, artistic, and truly archival b&w photography by discussing color, a medium best served by digital, BTW. Do a Google search, there is lots of info around on the superiority of film over digital. :mrgreen: The prints I made are all printed by hand with no pixel intervention, with the exception of copying them for posting needs.

BTW, I am making these digital files to be able to post them on the lab's new facebook page that a friend of mine is taking care of for us. Friend us at http://www.facebook.com/Labworkphoto

Thanks for doing so. 8)
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:No, Ivan, these are all from real b&w film, remember film, oh wait, you're too young to remember film! :mrgreen: 8)

Back in the day, BD, we used, and still do, something that is made from a clear plastic substrate that has a silver halide and gelatin (yes, you could eat it, if you really want to) emulsion coated on it that is light sensitive. Yes, there is color versions of film but we don't need to spoil the beauty of great, artistic, and truly archival b&w photography by discussing color, a medium best served by digital, BTW. Do a Google search, there is lots of info around on the superiority of film over digital. :mrgreen: The prints I made are all printed by hand with no pixel intervention, with the exception of copying them for posting needs.

BTW, I am making these digital files to be able to post them on the lab's new facebook page that a friend of mine is taking care of for us. Friend us at http://www.facebook.com/Labworkphoto

Thanks for doing so. 8)
I know that film existed, I had this old 90's camera that was huge back when I was young, the shinyness of the photos could not be beaten. How big do the prints get? I guess black and white would look cool with a bright red frame (the theme of our studio is Black, White and Red) I think it would be cool to have one of these, I'd have to run it by my brother though. In future, I will keep you in mind, the photos are stellar!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

At the moment, I can print up to 20"x24". I think it is funny (in a charming way :) ) that you say "this old '90s camera" 8), I used to regularly use a couple of different cameras from the mid 1950s, and I have some cameras from the 1910s through the early '40s at home. In fact, the photo of Bridalveil Fall (the "fountain" one, was made with my old Linhof Super Technika III (1956), although the lens was modern.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:At the moment, I can print up to 20"x24". I think it is funny (in a charming way :) ) that you say "this old '90s camera" 8), I used to regularly use a couple of different cameras from the mid 1950s, and I have some cameras from the 1910s through the early '40s at home. In fact, the photo of Bridalveil Fall (the "fountain" one, was made with my old Linhof Super Technika III (1956), although the lens was modern.
That is really cool! Imagine taking a picture of an extremely modern thing (like a bullet train, or a modern camera) with a camera from the 1910s, it would be like a contrast, like a look into the future.
So the modern lens makes the photo more clear while still maintaining the vibe of an old camera?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

paologregorio wrote:Are there hidden Ricks in any of these shots?
As a matter of fact, there are! In the DV photo, my brother, Rick, is somewhere in the immediate vicinity, probably behind me in his Isuzu Trooper. In the big, overview photo of Yosemite Valley, my friend, Rick, is out on the granite shelf with me, him using his Wisner view camera to make a similar photo while I was making this one with my Wista 45VX technical field camera. We were just leaving Yosemite after having spent a full week there with Ray McSavaney, Bruce Barnbaum and John Sexton, during the last of the Owens Valley Photography workshops, in April 1990.

Does this answer your question? :mrgreen:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

IvanMunoz wrote:
jps wrote:At the moment, I can print up to 20"x24". I think it is funny (in a charming way :) ) that you say "this old '90s camera" 8), I used to regularly use a couple of different cameras from the mid 1950s, and I have some cameras from the 1910s through the early '40s at home. In fact, the photo of Bridalveil Fall (the "fountain" one, was made with my old Linhof Super Technika III (1956), although the lens was modern.
That is really cool! Imagine taking a picture of an extremely modern thing (like a bullet train, or a modern camera) with a camera from the 1910s, it would be like a contrast, like a look into the future.
So the modern lens makes the photo more clear while still maintaining the vibe of an old camera?
I'm guessing Jeff chose the modern lens for what it would bring to the composition.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here is a very serene scene made just as a huge snowstorm was finally quieting down late in the afternoon the day after we entered the valley. It started very early in the morning and we had to put our chains on the car's tires and we kept them on for the remainder of the week we were there. The storm started clearing around 4 in the afternoon so we could drag ourselves out and down the pathway to a bridge crossing over Yosemite Creek in order to see Sentinal Rock across the valley. I made this with my Wista 45VX and a Schneider 90/8 Super Angulon lens, cropped pretty much square, in the darkroom.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Like in music, a good composition is essential!
pot.jpg
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Excellent use of that guitar, Werner! 8) I take it, it is not a Gibson? :P
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jps wrote:I take it, it is not a Gibson? :P
Gibson acoustics are not that rotten :lol: