Woman - Rick 320

A round-table feedback exchange
Melma

Woman - Rick 320

Post by Melma »

Hiya all. Thought I'd drop this on your doorstep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-Htm0-088

Although it's been fairly nailed down by Jack Douglas and others that there were no Rickenbackers being used on the 1980 sessions, I thought I'd give it a crack anyway.

Cheers

PS. Skip the intro, there might be a salty word in there.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Woman - Rick 320

Post by kiramdear »

Scotty, your 325 sounds great. Nice cover! I always loved that song. :)

I read somewhere that John used his first 325 on some of the last tracks he ever did, for the Milk and Honey album. Wish I could remember where. Now I don't know what to believe. :(
All I wanna do is rock!
Melma

Post by Melma »

From reading the making-of Double Fantasy book that came out a little while ago, and the group discussions with Jack Douglas and the band when LENNONYC came out, the best I can figure is that:
John had the band visit the Dakota early on, and showed them some Beatle guitars at that time. Later on, once actual sessions had started, I believe he brought his second 325 to the studio and showed it to the guys from Cheap Trick (referring to it as his 'Day Tripper' guitar).

I can't find any solid evidence that his Rickenbackers were used for recording, though. Jack Douglas seems to have said that the 325 wasn't used on "Walking On Thin Ice" after all - I think he even went so far as to say that some of the guitar work that people associate with John was actually his! Now, I've seen someone quote Yoko as saying that the 325 was used on that last song - but that was on an internet forum, so I take it with a huge grain of salt. Until someone has anything more solid than that, I have to assume that they weren't used.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Wow, that's a really nicely performed cover and an entertaining video. It should probably be posted in the video subforum. You did a great job on every step of the total production. The only thing I noticed was that your drummer looked a bit wasted, but hey, that's drummers. What video software did you use? Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Hey Scotty,

Very well done and entertaining cover. You are also so lucky to be born as one of three identical triplets so your brothers could help with the chorus (you guys still dress the same too!!) :lol:

Seriously, great job.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
Melma

Post by Melma »

Thanks team! (I edited the video with Final Cut Pro, recorded the song with Garageband).
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Really enjoyed that. Cool guitar. :)
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Melma wrote:PS. Skip the intro, there might be a salty word in there.
I love your down to earth real life videos - don't try to be artificial, just be you. Great video! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
lcjones

Post by lcjones »

Excellent. yes indeed. :)

Chap

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”