Setzer Gretsch models

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Setzer Gretsch models

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey all,

I was just wondering what you think of the Brian Setzer Gretsch guitars? I prefer a volume and tone and a pickup switch and I can do that with the Setzers by adding a tone control, so I have been thinking about getting one whenever I have money to get a guitar again. I've also heard that they have tresle bracing, which is supposed to be better than the ladder bracing. Anyone have any comments on these guitars?

Greg
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Setzer Gretsch models

Post by jimk »

I'll tell you up front two things about myself:
1. I don't go in for signature model guitars (generally speaking, I think they're overpriced. And you could purchase a less expensive model in the line and modify it to suit yourself.)
2. I've never played a Brian Setzer model Gretsch. Of course this advice is worth what you paid for it. :mrgreen:
JimK
valco

Post by valco »

I know this thread is old but since little information was contributed. IHO,{ I have played the B. Setzer mod.] The Setzer model is an excelent, premium quality guitar. There are several things that make it unique. The controls have been 'stripped down' to simplify. The tressel bracing copies the original 1950's models and is probably quite labor intensive to produce. Laquer finnish in bold colors, Pinned bridge and Bigsby. And other differences including the spectacular TV Jones pickups. These pu's will spoil you for any others offered by Gretsch. Some features are shared with other top of line models like the Chet Adkins and the 6118 LTV. The attention to detail and the incredible finnish on these guitars are unrivalled. I have seen a few used B. Setzer models at resonable prices, say $1600-$2000. They have made a lot of them. I do not think they are over priced celebrity models,[ look at what an America made Telecaster costs ! ] and you can not buy a cheaper model and modify to these specs. If you haven't already,get one, you won't be sorry.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

jimk wrote:I'll tell you up front two things about myself:
1. I don't go in for signature model guitars (generally speaking, I think they're overpriced. And you could purchase a less expensive model in the line and modify it to suit yourself.)
2. I've never played a Brian Setzer model Gretsch. Of course this advice is worth what you paid for it. :mrgreen:
JimK
Very good advice Jim - let's buy a stock 6120 and just modify the BRACING to our needs. :roll: :lol:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. There are several [very] different Setzer Gretsch models. The nice ones seem super nice. The Hot Rods (super simple) I just don't understand. All that said, a Setzer Gretsch (the nice one) is one of the few signature guitars I would be caught playing.
360girl

Post by 360girl »

soundmasterg wrote:Hey all,

I was just wondering what you think of the Brian Setzer Gretsch guitars? I prefer a volume and tone and a pickup switch and I can do that with the Setzers by adding a tone control, so I have been thinking about getting one whenever I have money to get a guitar again. I've also heard that they have tresle bracing, which is supposed to be better than the ladder bracing. Anyone have any comments on these guitars?

Greg
I had a 'Setzer Hot Rod. it was a nice guitar, but I will admit that I didn't like the V-profile of the neck:

The trestle bacing makes the guitar act more like a semi-hollow, by stiffening the top, and fighting feedback. The pickups are TV Jones Classic, which are some nice sounding pickups (but realize, not as hot as a PAF 'bucker, or a Ric Hi-Gain).

BTW, if you don't mind tone switches, and want a 'Setzer model, you might want to look into G6120ZSSL, or G6120SSU. Both come with incividual volume controls, and tone switches. F.Y.I. - if you do get a hot rid, realize that the paint is poly, not lacquer, so chipping during drilling, could be an issue.

My favorite Gretsch, is the Country Club. This is mine (it's a 2011):

valco

Post by valco »

Boy the Gretsch line up is hard to figure out from top to bottom, isn't it ? Two things, wow that County Club is sweet, and did our original poster wanted a tone knob insted of a switch ?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Holy **** that CC is nice. :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Country Club on a futon. I love it Ellen. What a beauty.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

valco wrote:Boy the Gretsch line up is hard to figure out from top to bottom, isn't it ? Two things, wow that County Club is sweet, and did our original poster wanted a tone knob insted of a switch ?
I was looking into the Setzer Hot Rod, which comes with a pickup switch and a volume control and no tone knob. If I got one I would add a tone knob. Sadly I haven't had the money to get one yet, but I still would like to get one some day.

Thanks for the comments all. I realize this was an old post bur I couldn't leave it hanging.

Greg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The Hot Rods seem to hold value... not sure I'd want to hack one up! Maybe a reversable VVT mod?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Just got myself a '97 6120SSU...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:Just got myself a '97 6120SSU...
Cool beans! :D
pathelms

Post by pathelms »

Amen, and congratulations!

Kindest, most giving guitar ever made!!

A good argument can be made that the Telecaster is the "truth." If so, the SSU is a "beautiful lie!" :D
Attachments
IMG_4532.JPG
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Pat, thanks for your comments. Congrats on the Setzer model. They are well put together and fine players. I especially like the TV Jones Classic and Setzer pickup options and the 2.5" and 2.75" body thickness options. The trestle bracing is great and makes for a solid model and great tone.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”