Gibson Update

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

admin
Site Admin

Re: Gibson Update

Post by admin »

I am wondering what synthetic materials may be substituted for woods such as ebony as the real deal is no longer available.

I see an interesting product offered by Hagstrom referred to as ebanol. A synthetic version of ebony, it is apparently made from layers of paper and phenolic resin.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

admin wrote:I am wondering what synthetic materials may be substituted for woods such as ebony as the real deal is no longer available.

I see an interesting product offered by Hagstrom referred to as ebanol. A synthetic version of ebony, it is apparently made from layers of paper and phenolic resin.
There is still ebony. 8)

electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

jps wrote:There is still ebony. 8)
You just have to get your own piece of forrest... nobody then seems to care if cutting that down is illegal or not... playing the Customs export/import code game helps as well. Or have the tree listed as dead wood, that makes it all even childsplay! :roll:

Besides, check non-american manufacturers - they all have ebony in abundance!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

admin wrote:I see an interesting product offered by Hagstrom referred to as ebanol. A synthetic version of ebony, it is apparently made from layers of paper and phenolic resin.
You can play an ebonol fingerboard on the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz Bass if you are curious. I would be more interested to see acrylized wood as a fingerboard some day, but I haven't yet.

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

cjj wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised if it ends up in a government auction, just like a lot of "seized" items...
If so, I have to wonder if Gibson would be banned from bidding. They could pay for the stuff a second time.
admin wrote:I am wondering what synthetic materials may be substituted for woods such as ebony as the real deal is no longer available.

French guitar maker Vigier uses what they call a "phenowood fretboard". "...It is basically birch that has been injected with carbon and phenolic resins." It is "exposed to intense amounts of compression and heat..." Source Priemeir Guitar September 2011, pg. 182.
Last edited by ken_j on Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The best things in life aren't things."
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I don't get the Ebony fascination. Bubinga, Rosewood, or Maple please. Exotic woods are also welcome, i'd much prefer a unique grain pattern to... solid black.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Grey wrote:I don't get the Ebony fascination. Bubinga, Rosewood, or Maple please. Exotic woods are also welcome, i'd much prefer a unique grain pattern to... solid black.
I actually think Taylor's "undesirable" ebony with the brown streaks in it looks great.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well it seems that there may already be reasonable alternatives for the genuine article. I only have one instrument with an ebony fretboard and that is my Fender Stratocaster. I confess to liking the feel and look of the fretboard on this instrument but would not rate it head and shoulders above my rosewood boards.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Guilty. I really like the Ebony Fingerboards.

I have an Alembic with one, and a few Peavey USA basses that have Ebony fingerboards as well.

I love the tone I can get from it, but I can't see why something else can't be used. Shot with some thick clear coat I'd imagine it would be close to the same?

I too think Taylor Guitars has the right idea too, that's pretty cool. I never knew that it was even available in tones other than black.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

It's pretty ridiculous when you hear him talk about how cutting down 20 trees to find one or two that are pure black, is/was common place. I also think the streaked Ebony looks great.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

ajish4 wrote:I never knew that it was even available in tones other than black.
It goes from purple brown all the way to pitch black, or even pitch black with white veins - they started using uniform black because of aesthetics, not because of sound. I don't hear any difference between a 57 LP Goldtop with rosewood or a 57 Black Beauty with ebony fingerboard!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

My Martin has a fret board and bridge made of Black Richlite which looks and feels like black ebony. Very nice material, really. I don't know what it's made of.
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Paper and phenolic resin...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Thanks, CJ. Another name for it is Micarta. Very nice stuff, really. It doesn't feel at all like plastic, and the look is even and attractive.
All I wanna do is rock!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Micarta and Richlite are very different materials, they share some basic manufacturing similarities but have different applications. Micarta is most commonly used in knife handles.

Return to “News At 11”