Roger McGuinn at #95 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarists

Those who flock to The Byrds
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Re: Roger McGuinn at #95 on Rolling Stone's Greatest Guitarists

Post by weemac »

I can't see the list (its blocked to me at the moment) but did they at least get Django in there?

Eden.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

No Django :( , but FZ is at 22, is that close enough? :mrgreen:
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

Sorry, a top 100 list without Django is not credible at all... Come to think of it a top 10 without Django would have to be compiled by deaf people..... or Rolling Stone.

emac.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What else would you expect from Rolling Stone? :!: Better it should be a list from Downbeat, then I bet either Django or Charlie Christian would be at or very near the top of the list. 8)
steve_o

Post by steve_o »

I found a copy of this just recently & glanced through the list again.

I agree with other posters here about the subjectivity of who was named (and where they were listed). I haven't looked at what everyone played, but it seems to me that about 90% of the list were Fender & Gibson, with maybe only 3-4 on it who were noted for playing Rickenbackers primarily. With the exception of an even smaller minority, there were nearly none who were predominantly acoustic guitarists, especially in the last 30-40 years.

I can't remember if Jorma Kaukonen was listed on there, and if he wasn't he ought to be. Embryonic Journey is his admission ticket. Marty Stuart too (can't recall now if he was listed or not). You could write volumes about just the electric guitarists who were omitted.

Frankly, I have to admit that a list - one that mentions Clarence White's electric session work, but fails to mention the B-Bender he helped develop & glosses over his ungodly acoustic talent; and a list that omits Tony Rice, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, and even artists from Rolling Stone's own (selective) genre - artists like Glen Campbell (a phenomenal session guy who everyone has heard a thousand times & not realized it) - that list is suspect right from the start.

Steve
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

But it can't be all wrong. They wisely left me completely off!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”