Jake's (help!) Going to University!

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

After 3 years, I finally finished Community College with a 3.7 GPA. I was rather impressed with myself, and I think the school I went to paired with up with some fairly easy students, and some wonderful professors, one of whom is one of the nicest people I've ever met. My last day was May 7, and the week previous to that, goodbyes were said, and I left proud that I was moving forward in life. Of course, I was told I could come back and visit whenever I was in the area. Emails and phone numbers were given to me, but I haven't had the time to write or call!

I was eligible to transfer to a four year university, so I picked one that was not as local as the community college, but local enough where I can take back roads to get to classes. The university had me fill out an application and I was accepted with positive marks. I'm taking two classes that are music related to break the ice and see if I'll be staying at this school, or moving to another this time next year. One is a folk guitar class (that will help me with my finger picking and possibly leads) and the other is a MIDI class.

This school is the reason I'm not going to Jdog Palooza or Ricktoberfest 2012 and why I went to SoCal somewhat privately this year. I'd like to thank everyone in attendance for putting up with me, and I hope to see you all next year!

Does anyone have any advice or tips for me on how to survive make this semester a successful one? Wish me luck, tomorrow's the first day!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Re: Jake's (help!) Going to University!

Post by ken_j »

Good luck Jake.
"The best things in life aren't things."
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

What are you looking to major in Jake?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Music with a minor in Psychology
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, if it's anything like it was nearly 40 years ago when I headed off to college, pay attention (really), study (really), and work hard (really), 'cause it ain't as easy as high school (or JC). If you work at it, you'll do fine! Good luck!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:Music with a minor in Psychology
Music performance? Composition? Are you planning on being a music teacher?
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Music Composition. Haven't really decided what the career that follows it will be.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

It's best to leave your options open and get a sense of the big picture before you narrow down and focus on one specific aspect of your interests. As CJ said, get ready to work hard; it will pay off! 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

JakeK wrote:Music Composition. Haven't really decided what the career that follows it will be.
Just to relate my own experience as a composition major to you:

- I went into my first semester of college reading music pretty well and knowing a LOT of theory and it still kicked my ***. If you are rusty with your reading & theory start brushing up or take a few lessons to get the basics.
- You will have to compose lots of music that you don't like (start listening to Schoenberg now).
- There are very few careers for composers out there. There are *some* jobs are for composers who have a background in sound design, recording, MIDI sequencing, etc.

I graduated college over four years ago and just got my first composing gig this month, and it has not proven to be fruitful yet (it's for a major commercial and the client must approve) and may not prove to be at a a success, despite the two weeks of work I poured into it (quite exhausting, creatively).

Pulling off the finished product would have been impossible without me having made the investment for a brand spankin' new MacBook, a good recording interface, a good condenser microphone, professional-grade instruments (dubious intonation/tuning and single coil hum are not tolerated), lots of sample software, and a good DAW (Logic in my case). Oh, and knowing how to USE all this stuff, and being able to make changes quickly and on the fly (I work 9-5). Not to mention the actual composition part of it. Phew! :(

Meanwhile, I work in the construction industry for ****** money while my friends who chose useful majors are buying homes and worrying far less. Ask Collin about this.

I don't know if you are actually seeking advice or just wanted to start a thread for the hell of it, but MAN, please consider a useful major. Keep music as your fun side hobby.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Thanks for the advice, John.

I wasn't exactly starting the thread for the hell of it, rather advice on being successful, and I have been heavily on the fence between music composition and film arts. Psychology and English are two minors because I've done really well in the psychology and English classes that I've taken, but it seems like they might become the majors, and I wind up teaching them.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Oh, and pick a major that has to be done HERE (i.e., can't be outsourced to some country with cheaper labor rates :x )...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
collin

Post by collin »

sloop_john_b wrote: Meanwhile, I work in the construction industry for ****** money while my friends who chose useful majors are buying homes and worrying far less. Ask Collin about this.

I don't know if you are actually seeking advice or just wanted to start a thread for the hell of it, but MAN, please consider a useful major. Keep music as your fun side hobby.

Sage advice here, Jake. Not sure if you were looking for any advice in this thread, but those of us on the "other side" are glad to give input, if it can help at all. Picking a career path is one of the toughest decisions you'll face in life.

I spent years in college and I changed my major about four times before settling on English. I completed that degree, only to add on a double-major in Communications (PR), which extended school another 1.5 years.

I was into writing and language, but it would have been hard to get a proper job with an English degree alone, so I added another degree that could compliment my first degree and broaden my skill set. It worked and I had a job right out of college at an advertising/PR agency.

That doesn't mean that I worry less than others, and I have to deal with the stress of the corporate enviroment, but at least I get my bills paid. Plus, I can turn to music and guitars to help escape the rigors of working life.

My dad would always tell me, "don't mix business and pleasure, son." I think he was saying that making a career out of your passions has the potential to ruin what you love. I wouldn't say this is true for everybody, but you need immense dedication to pursue a career in the arts, with the possibility of it never paying off. The key is finding that happy medium of something you're good at, that you like doing, that pays your bills and allows you to pursue interests that you're passionate about.

Regardless, it's great that you're going to the next step in your education. Heck, you could major in basketweaving or bowling and the experience and knowledge you get from GE courses alone are still an invaluable resource. Knowledge is power! :lol:

If you have solid, long-term goals for music composition, and want to make that your career path, then go for it, but if you are choosing this purely because it's the only thing that interests you, give it some real thought. I have plenty of friends who have expensive degrees from high-end universities in theater, film, fine arts, music....and many of them have enormous student loan debt and work at the mall for $9/hr, or they're unemployed. That's just a huge waste, IMO.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

kiramdear wrote: As CJ said, get ready to work hard; it will pay off! 8)
Words of Wisdom .... :wink:
Hope you have a good semester !
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Jake, I wish you success in your collegiate pursuits.

Hope you find a good fit between passion and practicality! :D
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Girls, Jake! :wink: 8)

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”