The Byrds (Collective) are dead! Long live The Cars!

A round-table feedback exchange
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

As some of you know, The Byrds Collective are no longer together. We played our last show in May and then said our goodbyes. I had a blast playing with them and I felt that we did a very good job of representing how the Byrds played and what the music was about.

Since then I have started a Cars tribute (with Gary, the drummer from the Byrds Collective) called Let’s Go! . We’re still in the process of rehearsing to do live shows, but I would like to share our first demo located here: http://snd.sc/Rnznn8

As for Rickenbacker content, I played my 4003 on this track.

You can be assured, Rick, Elliot and Ben will be using a few Ricks during our shows. If you have an inkling, please let me know what you think of the song, and let me know if it’s authentic enough. I’d really appreciate it.

BTW, if you want to hear a new Byrds tribute, check out RRF member Ronn Roberts’ (iamthebassman) new group, The EarlyByrds. They are the guys that will carry the torch. (on the web at http://www.facebook.com/TheEarlybyrds )
And if you’re a drummer into the Byrds, they’re looking for one!
Last edited by pehayes2 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: The Byrds (Collective) are dead! Long live The Cars!

Post by jimk »

Best of luck, Pat.
JimK
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Best of luck Pat with the new band, the demo is great!

Big thanks for the mention, and yes, if anyone knows a drummer in Austin who loves The Byrds lemme know!
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

As some of you know, The Byrds Collective are no longer together
In theory your audience will be about 15 years younger, thus more can make a concert on acoount of fewer health and med problems.. just sayin'
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Craig, exactly my thinking!
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

idealassets wrote:
As some of you know, The Byrds Collective are no longer together
In theory your audience will be about 15 years younger, thus more can make a concert on acoount of fewer health and med problems.. just sayin'
Following that logic, it's simply a matter of time before Pat is in a Justin Bieber tribute band. Packed houses (except for school nights).
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

It sounds like you are a lot happier with your new gig, Pat. Which basses (Ric or otherwise) do you use? Are you still friendly with any members from the former band?

Good luck with the new Byrds band, Ronn! Which bass do you find best gets that Byrds sound? Hillman used a Jazz Bass and Bass VI for the Tambourine Man album, a Guild Starfire bass for Turn! Turn! Turn! and Fifth Dimension and a Fender Precision for Younger Than Yesterday, Notorious Byrd Brothers and Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.
pehayes2

Post by pehayes2 »

Jake, thanks for the reply. I'm still friendly with the other guys (and even Dave Denk who wants to come to the SoCalCon and help with the drumming - Rich do you need a drummer?).

I actually thought my Gretsch 6072 sounded the best for the Byrds music (very similar to the Guild Starfire) except I could never use it live because it would start resonating and then feed back. It was great for recording. I really liked the Gretsch 6073 as it had a nice hollow body sound. I quit using that bass in our the second year and used the 70's Fender Jazz and occasionally my Rick 4001v63 after that.

As for Let's Go! Recording wise I use my 4003 and the 4001v63 with flat wounds. It just seems to record better than with round wounds. Since this is a 80's tribute I'll have to use what was popular at the time. Ben used Steinberger, Music Man, a Fender Precision and even a Vox Teardrop (I only have the Vox Astro IV though so that won't work) . I will swap those in and out in addition to the Rick 4003.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

pehayes2 wrote:Jake, thanks for the reply. I'm still friendly with the other guys (and even Dave Denk who wants to come to the SoCalCon and help with the drumming - Rich do you need a drummer?).
Hi Pat ---- I sent Dave Denk an e-mail invitation for the Bombshelter Mini Jam. Also included you and Mark M on the invite. We sure hope you guys can all come for a little while and pariticpate. You guys just might want to get thoses Rickenbackers chiming and Dave D on the drums and have another rendition of "3/5 of the Former Byrds Collective" jam along to a few tunes with a very appreciative audience ! ! :D

Hope you guys can attend ! Please RSVP !! And best of luck with your Pat Benetar and Cars' tribute bands !
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Good luck with the new Byrds band, Ronn! Which bass do you find best gets that Byrds sound?
I'll be using Eastwood Classic 4 and sunburst Fender Jazz Bass. I'm assembling a version of the bass Hillman used in this video.
http://youtu.be/0sS0j7rurBA
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I have a few links to websites that sell skinny ties, by the way. :)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”