The worlds newest Rick fan- my 360/6 v64

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

chaser2
Veteran RRF member

The worlds newest Rick fan- my 360/6 v64

Post by chaser2 »

I'll be honest from the start- I'm a Fender user with Fender guitars and amps and have been for most of the 17 years I've been playing guitar. My only contact with Rickenbackers was via the odd 12 string- the strings were always rusty and the action high. I've always loved the recorded sound of a Rickenbacker and most of my favourite bands were Rick based. Anyway, to cut to the chase, in my home city (Brisbane/Australia) there was a huge insurance guitar auction 2 days ago after a fire sprinkler deployed in a guitar showroom. Numerous Les Pauls (includeding a very expensive 1959 reissue), strats etc were up unreserved and in totally perfect condition!! Amongst them was a lone black 360/6 v64 which as you can probably guess was the one I ended up with (the '52 reissue tele I was after went way too high). Anyway I snagged it case, tags and all for Aus$1500 (US $750), one of the few bargains of the day. They list over here for about Aus$4000 but they are rare as there are VERY few Rick dealers in Australia. After a quick set up yesterday I gave it a whizz through my twin and my jaw hit the ground- this thing is gorgeous- 3 dimensional in a way a strat simply isn't. Whether clean or distorted I simply couldn't get a bad sound out of the thing. As well as the classic jangley Rick sounds, I was stunned at the bluesy tone on the neck pickup- I've never heard of a blues/Rick combo before. On top of it all, the thing is so easy to play it's almost embarrassing. Put simply, it's the best sounding guitar I have ever owned and I feel sorry that I wasn't 'in' on Ricks earlier. Now my main question- my knowlwdge of Rickenbackers extends to the research I did on models and prices before the auction- Is this thing considered a particularly good model? Where does it sit in the Rick hierachy? Is there something better out there? Where can I find out more information on the model (I've searched most relevant web sites).
carr

Post by carr »

"Anyway I snagged it case, tags and all for Aus$1500 (US $750), one of the few bargains of the day. They list over here for about Aus$4000 but they are rare as there are VERY few Rick dealers in Australia."

US$750 to US$1000 can get a rick quite readily in Australia . Limited editions excepted. How does this compare with used ricks in USA?

BTW anyone want to buy a twin neck Rickenbacker? 4001 bass with a 610/6? ALledgedly the previous owner was REO SPEEDWAGON.

John
carr

Post by carr »

"BTW anyone want to buy a twin neck Rickenbacker? 4001 bass with a 610/6? Alledgedly the previous owner was REO SPEEDWAGON."

OOPs make that 4001 + 620/12 in excellent but not mint condition.

John

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”