Old is when.......

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

teb
Advanced Member

Old is when.......

Post by teb »

...one of your band mates sends out an e-mail that says "Hey boys, our first album was released 40 years ago today!"

Crazy is when....
...small numbers of people are still buying it today.
http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-Folk ... B002A9MN7C

Normal is when....
.....we still haven't made any money off the darned thing.
Attachments
The_Ship_-_The_Ship-_A_Contemporary_Folk_Music_Journey.jpg
img_187115_10841501_1.jpg
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Old is when.......

Post by johnallg »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Anniversary, Todd!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Modern is when . . .

Your vinyl album gets converted into a CD.

Today is when . . .

There's only 3 copies left in stock of the CD . . . but more are on the way!

Congrats and thanks for a cool blast from the past. 8)

Was The Ship the name of the album or the band?

PS Czech it out: http://www.theshipmusic.com/
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Both. We weren't very creative back then :). Actually, the band was put together just to arrange and perform four live performances of The Ship, spread over two weekends in the spring of 1971 (this strange folk-opera-type thing that two of the guys had written). When we decided to keep the band together and start touring around to play it at other college campuses, nobody could think of a better name.

Trivia time. On the extreme right side in a stand, you can just barely see the body of the Maple Glow Capri that I had re-necked and turned into a fretless bass. Our lead guitarist Billy Panda is playing the banjo in this photo and to the left of him, you can see the Capri neck, which we transplanted onto a sycamore Tele-style body. If only I had just slid it under the bed instead.... All together now "WHAT AN IDIOT!"
Attachments
Ship-Great-Hall-2C.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teb wrote:Trivia time. On the extreme right side in a stand, you can just barely see the body of the Maple Glow Capri that I had re-necked and turned into a fretless bass. Our lead guitarist Billy Panda is playing the banjo in this photo and to the left of him, you can see the Capri neck, which we transplanted onto a sycamore Tele-style body. If only I had just slid it under the bed instead.... All together now "WHAT AN IDIOT!"
Oy! :shock:

But that's what we did back in those days, after all, they were just old used guitars, right? :wink:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Ooch! I remember playing the recording on my campus radio show. I also remember that I rather dug the concept at the time.
JimK
collin

Post by collin »

Todd, those are some pretty sweet bell-bottoms you're rocking there. :)

Congrats, pretty cool on the album! Elektra records, eh? I think the Doors were also on Elektra.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Yeah, it was a pretty big deal at the time, since there were so few major labels and hardly anybody could afford to record and promote their own albums. I remember sitting there signing pages and pages and pages of contracts and other leagal documents and thinking "Gee, I hope they don't find out that I'm only 19 years old and that none of these are valid. I'd have to have my mom come down and sign them for me and that would be embarrassing."
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

And Todd, do you still have any bell bottoms? :)
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Happy Anniversary Todd! Great Boat by the way! They were just old guitars who would've thought?
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

No bell bottoms, though I do have a couple pairs of boot-cut Levis, which is about as close as I get these days. Those bell bottoms were a size 31x36. I'm not fat, but getting back into a 31 waist isn't likely to happen any time soon.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”