Recent Roger

Those who flock to The Byrds
idealassets

Re: Recent Roger

Post by idealassets »

Makes me wonder who guards those precious guitars when he travels.....
I would assume that Roger can afford a security system, and also can probably afford a house keeper to look in on things while he's gone. On another note, Roger must have a good income from Royalties. No doubt there is a rebirth in the sales of Byrds CD's. I know that I, for one, have sprung for a good array of Byrds CD's, and also was glad to discover his solo CD "Back From Rio", which I also recently bought.
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
janglebox

Post by janglebox »

On another note, Roger must have a good income from Royalties. No doubt there is a rebirth in the sales of Byrds CD's. I know that I, for one, have sprung for a good array of Byrds CD's, and also was glad to discover his solo CD "Back From Rio", which I also recently bought.
In 2000, Roger testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Downloading Muisc on the Internet that he receives no royalties from the Columbia Byrds records. In an early 1990s interview with Dave DiMartino, Roger said that his five solo records (ca. the mid-70s) effectively killed his personal royalties from the Byrds records:

"My management at the time made the wonderful [note sarcasm] decision to cross-collateralize my royalties from the Byrds into the CBS solo albums," he said wearily. "The solo albums never made a penny, and they went into the red to the point where I haven't seen any Byrds royalties for a few years now."

On the other hand, you have to figure that he's cleaning up with his self-recorded CDs. They cost so little to make and he gets to keep all the profits.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side".

--Hunter S. Thompson 8)
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”