Any love for Tony Zemaitis?

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Any love for Tony Zemaitis?

Post by JakeK »

Been enjoying listening to Ronnie Wood in The Faces, The Stones and by himself lately, and looking at pictures, I noticed he played some wild looking guitars. I then found that these guitars were custom-made for him by Tony Zematis throughout the 70s. I was aware of Zemaitis from the George Harrison Guitar Collection app on my iPad, with George owning a stunning set of matching acoustics, 6 and 12-string. I then found out that Tony's designs were licensed to Greco after he passed away in 2002, and they make replicas of the Ronnie Wood electrics, Harrison-type acoustics and beyond.

I discovered the website and was impressed. http://www.zemaitis-guitars.com/

Has anyone on here gotten to play a reissue or a Tony Z original? Electric or acoustic? If so, what were your thoughts?

Personally, the acoustics appeal to me, but the electrics seem more in line for a lead guitarist.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Any love for Tony Zemaitis?

Post by kenposurf »

Story: A good friend of mine who works at a local music store gave me a call one day..a young man wanted to sell a Zemaitis electric dobro..the store didn't want to go there..the young many wanted $400! I went down cash in hand..the kid was getting ready to ship out for basic training and wanted to sell a few things.
A remarkable guitar..half guitar half Borg mutant..all metal with insane carving.
Got it home and played for a bit..phone rings..it's my buddy from the store..the kids mom got wind of the sale..it was actually her guitar that she let him use..oh well back to the store and got my money and we sadly parted ways..quite a guitar though!
octagon

Post by octagon »

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

My favourite local shop always has a couple of these on display. They're beautiful, and the metal parts are all fancy. Nice work but very pricey. :shock:
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”