Bands inspired by the Byrds

Those who flock to The Byrds
manta
Intermediate Member

Re: Bands inspired by the Byrds

Post by manta »

Clifton wrote:
1a12 wrote:The Rain Parade.
And don't forget Guadalcanal Diary, who tend to get overshadowed by R.E.M. They used a lot of Ricks throughout their career. Great songwriters, too!
////////

I'll second that!!

Powerful and clever band and guitar use.
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
Gardener

Post by Gardener »

I would say Stone Roses and Teenage Fanclub.
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Folkie wrote:Jake,

How about:

The Long Ryders' "Capturing the Flag" (Played on Sid Griffin's FG 360/12)

Robert
Yes Robert! Gee whiz, and don't forget that Syd Griffin evolved into the Coal Porters who I believe are UK based..Im sure he still uses it. I got to strum it at a parking lot gig they had in Austin in the 90's...Can't go wrong with any of the LR records...or a youtube night!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Hey, Adam,

I haven't heard about the Coal Porters, but, in my opinion, The Long Ryders are one of the most woefully underrated roots-rock bands to emerge from the mid 80's indie scene. "State of Our Union" is a real tour de force of great songwriting and rootsy instrumentation. Too bad I couldn't find it on CD the last time I did an Amazon search. :( Syd's 360/12 is all over that record.

I found "Two-Fisted Tales" a bit of an anti-climax after "Union" (sophomore slump, I guess). And I never actually got to hear the band live. I'll have to revisit them on YouTube! 8)

Robert
Chrome Aardvark

Post by Chrome Aardvark »

The other guitarist in the Long Ryders, Stephen McCarthy, channelled the Clarence White side of the Byrds with his twangy Telecaster lead lines. He ended up playing in Gutterball with Steve Wynn and the guys from House of Freaks and then in the Jayhawks. He also played on Gene Clark's LP with Carla Olsen from the Textones.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”