"Turn! Turn! Turn!": The Album

Those who flock to The Byrds
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: "Turn! Turn! Turn!": The Album

Post by jimk »

idealassets wrote:
Then there is the added benefit of a few Roger McGuinn solo albums, including Back From Rio, which I do recommend (as a return to the original Byrds roots). Does anyone have any comments about other Roger McGuinn solo albums?

Thank you,
Craig
The thought now occurs to me about how Chris Hillman might be a little forgotten in this all this discussion. I sometimes think that had Chris stayed with the Byrds, that we might have had recordings similar to the Flying Burrito Bros. Gilded Palace of Sin only by the Byrds, instead. Or if they could have hung on even longer, they might have successfully created something like the Desert Rose Bnad, Hillman's later band in the 80s did. (John Jorgenson did play a Rickenbacker 12 string on occasion in that band.)

If Sweetheart of the Rodeo isn't too countrified for you, I'd recommend picking up copies of Gilded Palace of Sin and A Dozen Roses; the Desert Rose Band's Greatest Hits. Heck, even if the Desert Rose Band is too countrified, get their greatest hits album anyway because John Jorgenson is just flat good, and a proper successor to Clarence White.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Besides all the mentioned albums from the beginning through the different periods I also really like both 1971 released albums "Byrdmaniax" and especially "Farther Along". They stand in their own right with the line up Clarence White, Gene Parsons, Skip Battin and RM. The vocals on Farher Along are so much powerful. And last not least the Reunion album from 1973 I pull out from time to time.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

I believe "Turn, turn, turn" to most critics-- and McGuinn himself-- have felt that TTT wan not as good an album as MTM
Another aspect is that until 8 Miles High (don't shoot me) Roger McGuinn's guitar solos were not very complicated. I suppose George Harrison's solos at the same time were not complicated either. Beginning with Younger Than Yesterday the guitar chords and solos advanced quite a bit. That's just my opinion. But I have to admit that back in the day those early Byrds (no pun) guitar sounds were just the greatest until Hendrix, Clapton, etc, and the San Francisco bands began to bring it.

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
ByrdBro

Post by ByrdBro »

[/quote]
Another aspect is that until 8 Miles High (don't shoot me) Roger McGuinn's guitar solos were not very complicated. I suppose George Harrison's solos at the same time were not complicated either. Beginning with Younger Than Yesterday the guitar chords and solos advanced quite a bit. That's just my opinion. But I have to admit that back in the day those early Byrds (no pun) guitar sounds were just the greatest until Hendrix, Clapton, etc, and the San Francisco bands began to bring it.

Craig[/quote]

If I may, I'll just pitch in again.

Graig makes a valid observation. And agree the Byrds did get (thanks to the studio engineers too) a great guitar sound.

Also, giving Chris Hillman his dues, he got a great bass sound too, quite bright and seemingly as though he played reasonably high up the fretboard, bringing him just under the other two (? or three) guitars. Bringing me around to also thinking McGuinn probably overdubbed, played two parts on many of their recordings. There's often two twelves jangling along with DC's rhythm playing.

Eight Miles High was such a landmark track. I for one was disappointed that they didn't stay with that jazz orientated style. Heyho...we can't change history so I'll remain grateful for the wonders they gave us.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

Some Byrds fans will probably call me a heretic for saying that...... Tom
Not so Tom. I can recall buying the LP- Younger Than Yesterday right after it came out (My older sister had the first 3 albums). Then I had a bad inclination about Notoriuos and Sweetheart when they were released, and did not buy them, furthermore fewer friends were talking about these albums- nor buying them, such as they were the first 3, or 4 albums.

Many years later I discovered I liked the song "Change Is Now" (Notoriuos), but even after buying the CD I don't listen to the entire CD, I just surf through the songs.
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”