Electric piano on MTM

Those who flock to The Byrds
bowser2533

Electric piano on MTM

Post by bowser2533 »

I have another question about the byrds MTM album. I have read in several books about the session that Leon Russell played electric piano on the MTM track and it was Melchers decision not to use the piano track said it wasnt needed. If you split the track you can hear the piano. Does any one think its bleed over or just mixed way down in the track? Again just been wondering for 48 years. Thanks Gary
janglebox

Re: Electric piano on MTM

Post by janglebox »

bowser2533 wrote:I have another question about the byrds MTM album. I have read in several books about the session that Leon Russell played electric piano on the MTM track and it was Melchers decision not to use the piano track said it wasnt needed. If you split the track you can hear the piano. Does any one think its bleed over or just mixed way down in the track? Again just been wondering for 48 years. Thanks Gary
Jim Dickson, the Byrds manager at the time, maintains that Leon was mixed to near inaudibility, but the piano is there. Same for Gene Clark's vocal.
mcd220

Re: Electric piano on MTM

Post by mcd220 »

I've just recently been diving into this, dragging the Journals takes into Roxio and re-mixing...you can hear the piano playing root & 5th especially during the G chords.

One interesting note; when the song goes to an A chord at the end of each phrase, Leon "Holds" the G chord, making it like a...uh...A7sus4. Sounds like a mistake, but he does it every time.

Roger of course plays a straight A major there, and then to the suspended.

BOTH Bill Putman & Larry Knechtal play Bass.

Best, Christian

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”