END OF AN ERA!

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Re: END OF AN ERA!

Post by ozover50 »

Congratulations and best wishes, Paul. It's been a delight seeing some of your Rickenbacker acoustics 'in the flesh' and playing them.

I look forward to seeing the birth of the Madeleine guitar range... you have chosen a most appropriate name.

Hopefully you can provide us with some photos of your creations as they come into the world.

Cheers. :D

H
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
s4001

Post by s4001 »

Good news, Paul. Can't wait to see some of your creations!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You have a bright future Paul. I hope that the Madeline line replaces some of the heartache associated with her passing and your Mom's illness. We look forward to your new creations. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Ah, and we never did get to see Rickenbacker Classical Guitar materialize. We'll always have Paris, I guess.

Does this mean you're out of the Rick Restoration/Customization biz too?

Job well done thus far & more to come!
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Well done on all counts! Paul a fitting tribute, and here's to a new beginning!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

kennyhowes wrote:Does this mean you're out of the Rick Restoration/Customization biz too?
:shock: :shock: :shock:
I hope not!
kennyhowes wrote: Job well done thus far & more to come!
Absolutely!
8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Congrats, Paul! While I'm sad you're moving on from Rickenbacker acoustics, it's great to see you'll be building your own. :D Just tell me they won't be Martin or Gibson copies like almost every other custom acoustic luthier :lol:

Here's a couple of questions I haven't seen answered or asked:
1. With you moving on, does this mean that Ric acoustics are officially discontinued, will they find someone else to make them or is the factory going to make them again?
2. Will you still be doing Rickenbacker customizations and restoration?

EDIT: Number 2 is essentially a reworded version of a question Kenny Howes asked. Sorry, Kenny. :wink:
Last edited by JakeK on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Good questions, Jake.

However, as it has been said in other places on this forum, Paul's licence to build acoustics for RIC was not specifically related to his restoration business. I have a hunch it provided easier access to certain materials (and creative gray-area) while doing custom work, but only PW and JH know for sure.

Also, I'm fairly certain Paul had been restoring guitars before his licensed RIC acoustic deal in 2006, so I don't think the lapse of said license would affect that aspect of his "hobby/business". I've spoken with Paul about working on non-RIC instruments, and I suspect he'll continue to operate as he likes, which seems to be on whatever projects he chooses, RIC or not, according to his interests & schedule.

Here's hoping Madeleine guitars will incorporate some carved-top models; I've wanted a Jazzbo ever since I saw the one Paul built, and was just about to try and figure out how to get him to build me one . . .
Last edited by DriftSpace on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Paul, seems like the start of an exciting era of new high quality custom build acoustics! Good luck with this new venture :D

kennyhowes wrote:Does this mean you're out of the Rick Restoration/Customization biz too?
I do hope not... I am still saving for mine!
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

JakeK wrote:1. With you moving on, does this mean that Ric acoustics are officially discontinued, will they find someone else to make them or is the factory going to make them again?
RIC acoustics already were discontinued as such and there are no plans to build acoustics here or anywhere else. I also think he's fairly committed for the time being to building instruments in the same style but I'd also like to see what he can do with some really original designs as I don't know too many people as genuinely creative as he is.
JakeK wrote:2. Will you still be doing Rickenbacker customizations and restoration?
I certainly can't speak for Paul but in all recent conversations with him he's indicated he'd like to and I've certainly tried to encourage him to do so. I'm sure it will come down to his available time more than anything.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Good luck with the business Paul, I hope your guitars will shine as bright on stages everywhere as little Madeleine's star in the sky!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

All the best to you Paul. I look forward to seeing and hearing your new line of acoustics.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Good luck, Paul. Looking forward to seeing your new guitars.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

JakeK wrote:Just tell me they won't be Martin or Gibson copies like almost every other custom acoustic luthier :lol:
Check out the work of Harvey Leach, Howard Klepper or Mark Hatcher for examples of three great original thinking luthiers, Jake. 8)
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Congrats Paul! (still waiting on my 12 string!)

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”