360 + Irish Trad

A round-table feedback exchange
Kingbreaker

360 + Irish Trad

Post by Kingbreaker »

https://www.box.com/s/k4gtheyocx816jhmdpnv

The Lilting Banshee
Traditional Irish jig
Two melody tracks recorded on a wooden flute made by Sam Murray (left and right channels)
Accompaniment on my 2012 360 MG

I recently was invited to join an Irish "trad band" on my main instrument (flute) and worked this up as a way to get motivated and into performing shape. The flute was recorded by my imac's onboard mic (hence a little clipping on the "barks.") The backing track is a single, unrehearsed take on my 360 MG.

Signal chain for the guitar:

--> Vox tonelab ("blackface" model with a bit of delay)
--> Focusrite Scarlett
--> Garageband.
cassius987

Re: 360 + Irish Trad

Post by cassius987 »

It all sounds great. Even the tone of the 360 seems strangely appropriate. Good job.

I've heard there's an Irish band in Denver that has a guy playing a Ric bass, but I've never seen them to really know. Plus, I really don't know what the bass would be doing--when I listen to most Celtic music, the low end is coming mostly from percussion alone.
Kingbreaker

Post by Kingbreaker »

cassius987 wrote:It all sounds great. Even the tone of the 360 seems strangely appropriate. Good job.
Thanks! I own a bouzouki and took a few workshops, and that's the sound/style I was starting from.

I've heard there's an Irish band in Denver that has a guy playing a Ric bass, but I've never seen them to really know. Plus, I really don't know what the bass would be doing--when I listen to most Celtic music, the low end is coming mostly from percussion alone.
"Pure drop" hardcore trad is extremely minimalistic. I go to a great Saturday session that does not allow accompanists at all - no guitars or drums whatsoever. God forbid I bring in anything with a pickup - I'd get shot.

The issue is that "pure drop" isn't really a great style for a gigging band - most folks need something more accessible to keep their attention. The most obvious way to go is Dropkick Murphys/Pogues paddy-punk. Not what I'm interested in, but it is a lot of fun to see once in a while.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Kingbreaker wrote:Thanks! I own a bouzouki and took a few workshops, and that's the sound/style I was starting from.
I would like to learn more about playing Celtic music, considering how much I enjoy listening to it (the Irish & Celtic Music Podcast on iTunes is great). My biggest struggle has been shifting my brain to work in an instrument tuned to fifths, like the tenor banjo my granddad left us. I can plink out a few tunes but I don't "speak the language" of these instruments yet.
Kingbreaker wrote:"Pure drop" hardcore trad is extremely minimalistic. I go to a great Saturday session that does not allow accompanists at all - no guitars or drums whatsoever. God forbid I bring in anything with a pickup - I'd get shot.

The issue is that "pure drop" isn't really a great style for a gigging band - most folks need something more accessible to keep their attention. The most obvious way to go is Dropkick Murphys/Pogues paddy-punk. Not what I'm interested in, but it is a lot of fun to see once in a while.
When I was in San Francisco on business for a few days last year one of my favorite nights out was drinking at an Irish pub listening to a trad band with my colleagues. It was the first time I'd been around something as authentic as that and I really got a kick out of it. Admittedly--they were mostly there for background, but I was giving them a lot of my attention.

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”