Beats by Dre

Putting music theory into practice
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Beats by Dre

Post by T.A.R. »

Anyone have any experience with these, is it hype or are they that good? Expensive to say the least.

http://www.beatsbydre.com/
scotty

Re: Beats by Dre

Post by scotty »

Bought them for Adam they were great until he stood on them now there not so great :lol:

Brat....£130 down the tubes now I bought a pair for Emma £20 Sony ones just like the Dre headphones and they are fine do the same job imho
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Terrible headphones. Several of them have an active EQ applied to the incoming signal that boosts the bass response into the extreme and what you end up with is a distorted, muddy mess. You're paying for the brand recognition.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Grey wrote:Terrible headphones. Several of them have an active EQ applied to the incoming signal that boosts the bass response into the extreme and what you end up with is a distorted, muddy mess. You're paying for the brand recognition.
Yeah, I think that's a big part of the "Beats Audio" in general, boosting the bass, which seems to be what most rap/hip-hop is all about. It's supposedly an optimized equalizer to allow listeners to "hear what the artists hear." Well, maybe rap "artists." In my opinion, it's mostly marketing hype to make a lot of money for Andre Young...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

What they said, bass-heavy and quite pricey. I kinda dig them anyway. :)
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Thanks! A friend picked up a pair and I'm curious. I'd like to get a decent set of headphones seeing that's how I practice most of the time.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I like my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones. They're only $99 but sound great...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

If you just want some practice headphones for playing guitar I wouldn't be too worried about getting a high end pair. Anything will do the trick since you don't need perfect sonic reproduction.

I have a pair of Denon AHD2000's for home listening.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Are you aiming for IEMs some day or is this just for kicking around at home? I have used Shure SE425s for a little over a year and am very pleased with their fidelity and sound isolation.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cjj wrote:I like my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro headphones. They're only $99 but sound great...
I use those, too. I do feel that the bass can a bit indistinct and hard to pick out things when learning songs, however. Other than that they sound excellent with the bottom end going way down to the 64' pipe region.
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

They will be mostly for around the house, I have a set of Yamahas that have been okay but find I'm missing a bit, basically upgrading in the quest to be better. I'm beginning to apply the philosophy of "Buy the best you can afford and you wont be disappointed" to my practice gear. Great suggestions by the way, thanks!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T.A.R. wrote:I'm beginning to apply the philosophy of "Buy the best you can afford and you wont be disappointed" to my practice gear. Great suggestions by the way, thanks!
Here ya' go, then! 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I've got a set of these too, very nice for wireless...
Sennheiser RS 170
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

These are only $5,000.
bhse_gray_high.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Grey wrote:
These are only $5,000.
bhse_gray_high.jpg
I was looking for something more like that but couldn't find them, so the HD800 had to do. :( :mrgreen:

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”