Rickenbacker Triple Neck?

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

On page 43 of Richard R Smith's excellent book about Rickenbacker, he mentions that triple neck steel guitars were available before 1950. Assumeing this would have been prior to the sale of the company, I've been wondering if the attached photo shows one of them, and if anyone has seen one in person.
Attachments
939_slim_idaho_with_triple_neck_probably_rickenbacker_1.jpg
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Here was a Triple Neck Console Steel that I saw on Los Angeles Craigs List in November of 2011

RRF posting under "On Line Sightings": viewtopic.php?f=68&t=403220&start=0#p722084
Three Steels.jpg
Three Steels.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 7752 times

Then a couple of months later in Feb 2012, someone was selling just three Horseshoes on their own, on L.A. CL ... so the Triple Console may possibly have been "parted out."
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=404692#p743667
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: Rickenbacker Triple Neck?

Post by cjj »

I have this one, made in 1960. It's a 768 console...
ric768k.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I've seen a double neck similar to that but never a triple neck.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=378571
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

Those are beautiful triple necks, but the wooden body guitars were most likely Mr. Halls designs. I was really inquiring about the metal body bakelite neck versions that Mr. Rickenbacker designed. I have a double neck metal body/bakelite neck version that I refer to as the boat anchor. The hollow metal body gives it a touch of reverb even when not plugged in. Adolf definitely traveled his own road in terms of the materials he used in building guitars.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, the one in the picture does look like a triple neck Rickenbacker Electro Model D-16 Hawaiian Guitar. I have never seen one, but they are mentioned in the 1933 Rickenbacker catalog. Under the entry for "Double Neck" It says, "Triple Neck and Multiple String Instruments are custom built to order."
http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_pos ... cf33-3.jpg
http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_pos ... cf33-2.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

Thanks for the link to the catalog pages. It boggles the mind to think a quad neck might actually exist.
Mike Anderson

Post by Mike Anderson »

That is an odd-looking job - is it just me, or does it appear to have both pre-war AND t-shaped logo badges on the two outside necks?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. :)
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

It does look that way to me. I can't quite make out the number of strings on each neck either. I can just barely play a double neck on my lap. A triple neck like that would need a stand for sure.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”