Rickenbacker Electro 6 string lap steel-unknown Model

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sladeguy

Rickenbacker Electro 6 string lap steel-unknown Model

Post by sladeguy »

This guitar is no Panda!!!! I bought it around 1950 from a pawn shoppe in Halifax. It cost $35 and came with a Gaylord 5 watt amplifier and a matching case.

Several years ago, I posted a question on the SGF as to what the model is. There seemed to be no clear answer at that time, so I thought I'd take another crack at it.

Now, if I can post the pictures, all will be well:
Attachments
bottom
bottom
FRONT SIDE VIEW.jpg
BRIDGE END.jpg
CONTROLS AND JACK.jpg
headstock end
headstock end
controls and jack
controls and jack
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Rickenbacker Electro 6 string lap steel-unknown Model

Post by jps »

I have never seen a Rick steel that looks like yours, perhaps it was custom/home made using Rick parts?
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

It looks similar to the S/NS model shown in the attached listing. It is listed as 1950.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/rickenbacker-s-ns-1950
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

So make that two within a 24 hour period that I have now seen photos of! Never seen one before this.
sladeguy

Post by sladeguy »

Thanks Jeffrey and Ron. Gee, maybe mine is a collector's item worth a million bucks!!!!!! It's odd that the controls are not opposite each other as in the 2nd one.

The guitar came in its custom case covered in a vinyl snakeskin or some kind of snakeskin pattern and the Gaylord amplifier was matching. I wonder if it was sold as a set through Eaton's or Simpsons (Canada's big department stores back then). It has a nifty tale. When I got my Gibson CG in 1952ish, of course I relegated the Ricky to the closet. I moved from Halifax to Montreal in 1960 and in 1962 I sold the Ricky and amp to a chap I worked with. He wanted his daughter to learn. As years went by, I was sorry I sold it as it was my first electric guitar. In 1977, the company I worked for in Montreal at that time moved us to Niagara here in Ontario. In 1982, I was in Toronto just for the day, and I met the chap to whom I sold the guitar twenty years ago. We had small talk and then I said, "Ron, whatever happened to that little guitar I sold to you for your daughter"???

He replied, "That's right, I did get that from you. I just dug it out of the attic this week, it's going in a garage sale this weekend". Befor he had thouse words spoken, I said "It's sold". He said, "You can just have it back George, I apologize that I don't have the amplifier, it went up in smoke many years ago"!!!!

Happiness is getting one's rickety-Rickenbacker back!!!!!!!. It's a nice wallhanger in my music room!!!!

Thanks again guys.

Geo
Ron Simpson

Post by Ron Simpson »

I love a happy ending like this.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sladeguy wrote:Thanks Jeffrey and Ron. Gee, maybe mine is a collector's item worth a million bucks!!!!!!

Thanks again guys.

Geo
Remember, Ron & I get to share in the proceeds for pointing out how rare this one is. :wink: :mrgreen:
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

It's a J-6 model.
sladeguy

Post by sladeguy »

Thanks Richard. You said that before in another fourm, but there were some challenges on it. I think you've locked it for good this time.

I wish to thank all who participated with their comments.

A super great forum this RicResource.

Geo

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”