The Most Useless Gadget Ever

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

The Most Useless Gadget Ever

Post by kiramdear »

This one takes the honor, hands down. Comments?

http://www.pocketstrings.com/
All I wanna do is rock!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: The Most Useless Gadget Ever

Post by jps »

Not necessary, as it is a well known fact that you don't even have to practice to get better, all you have to do is think about playing your instrument. :wink: :mrgreen:
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Though I've seen a few left hand players that play a right handed guitar strung right handed, at 0:36 in the video someone is instructing someone else "upside down". One of these rare cases or a total boo-boo by the director of the video?
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I have to say, I'm a bit intrigued.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

sloop_john_b wrote:I have to say, I'm a bit intrigued.
Well, I'm always willing to be enlightened. Let us know if you run into one. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:Not necessary, as it is a well known fact that you don't even have to practice to get better, all you have to do is think about playing your instrument. :wink: :mrgreen:
Dang, I must be doing it wrong. I think about playing all the time, yet somehow, I just can't seem to improve without actually picking up an instrument...
:roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jps wrote:Not necessary, as it is a well known fact that you don't even have to practice to get better, all you have to do is think about playing your instrument. :wink: :mrgreen:
Ah yes, another devotee of Professor Hill's Think System. La de dadedadedadeda, la deda, la deda....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
JimK
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Cool, it says you can use it on job interviews and in public restrooms..... two places it's always great to have a guitar.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Is that a pocket string or are you happy to see me?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

wim wrote:Is that a pocket string or are you happy to see me?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

You know, when I first looked at the website I thought this wasen't such a bad idea. I've got no use for one sure, but I could see the potential.

So I watched the video. I kept waiting for someone to show up and demo the little thing to show a few basic chords, something. Didn't happen, but it did have a nice backing track with lots of high access fret scales that you can't practice on that device. I watched a second video on their YouTube page and while it was very helpful in showing me closeup shots of what it looked like, I still didn't see anyone playing it. Then I realised that you can't actaully "play" it because the device dosen't make any noise. I thought it had some clever electronics in that plastic shell to generate notes from the strings but no, this is literally the last 4 frets of a guitar neck stuck to some plastic and that's all it does.

You put your fingers on it in the shape of a chord and apparently that's "practice". Nevermind strumming hand dexterity, coordination, and timing. You can't actaully strum the chords you're making so there's nothing to tell you if you're actaully allowing each note to ring cleanly and not just being muted with the underside of your fingers from bad posture. This device seems to be made for one-hit-wonder 3 chord songwriters who like to smile and look good holding a guitar but can't do much else.
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

Their latest device allows you to practice manipulating your tone and volume knobs,....anywhere!

Rickenbacker player since 1978
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

johnnysain wrote:Their latest device allows you to practice manipulating your tone and volume knobs,....anywhere!

:lol:

Ther'll probably be a market for 12 string Rickenbacker headstocks too.
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

Grey wrote: This device seems to be made for one-hit-wonder 3 chord songwriters who like to smile and look good holding a guitar but can't do much else.
Or movie stars that have to fake to a sound track. :D
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”