2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days ?

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Re: 2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Post by hieronymous »

Lefty4001 wrote:One picture that doesn't exist, because I realized it too late, would have been a line-up of the 4000 series basses. We had the full 2x2 matrix of headstock/wing combinations: '74 4001LH (lefty wings, "righty" headstock), Harry's '75 4001 Walnutglo (Rwings, Rhead), '93 4003S-LH (Lwings, Lhead) and John's 4001C64(S? Rwings, Lhead).
This is as close as we got:

As I was getting ready to leave Lefty4001 passed by with his 4003S (? - fill me in on the details on your bass again!) and I realized we had a photo-op! I think your bass looks great as is by the way! I personally wouldn't change a thing. I like how in this picture, in addition to the "mirror image" effect, there are lots of subtle (and not so subtle?) details, like white vs. black trim, shark inlays vs. dots, binding vs. contoured, stereo vs. mono, etc. OK, now I'm geeking out!

I also considered cropping the photo but I realized that it kind of gave a sense of the place we were at.

Also, I'm sorry I got there so late and had to leave so early - I couldn't have been there for more than an hour or so - but it was good to see the people I knew, good to meet the people I didn't, sorry not to see some people, but overall had a great time and looking forwards to the next one! I'll have to memorize the lyrics to the Black Sabbath songs...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

hieronymous wrote:
Lefty4001 wrote:One picture that doesn't exist, because I realized it too late, would have been a line-up of the 4000 series basses. We had the full 2x2 matrix of headstock/wing combinations: '74 4001LH (lefty wings, "righty" headstock), Harry's '75 4001 Walnutglo (Rwings, Rhead), '93 4003S-LH (Lwings, Lhead) and John's 4001C64(S? Rwings, Lhead).
This is as close as we got:

As I was getting ready to leave Lefty4001 passed by with his 4003S (? - fill me in on the details on your bass again!) and I realized we had a photo-op! I think your bass looks great as is by the way! I personally wouldn't change a thing. I like how in this picture, in addition to the "mirror image" effect, there are lots of subtle (and not so subtle?) details, like white vs. black trim, shark inlays vs. dots, binding vs. contoured, stereo vs. mono, etc. OK, now I'm geeking out!

I also considered cropping the photo but I realized that it kind of gave a sense of the place we were at.

Also, I'm sorry I got there so late and had to leave so early - I couldn't have been there for more than an hour or so - but it was good to see the people I knew, good to meet the people I didn't, sorry not to see some people, but overall had a great time and looking forwards to the next one! I'll have to memorize the lyrics to the Black Sabbath songs...
How about this one? :mrgreen: Pretty close except for the headstocks. 8)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Gosh, I actually kind of like the pictures of me this year. I put on a little weight and it makes me look a little healthier than in years past. Thanks, Doug!

The jam really got off the ground when John A. got there. Thanks for giving us some direction, John! :) And to Harry and his lovely lady - thanks for coming even if for a little while. It was short but sweet. I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
8mileshigher

2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days

Post by 8mileshigher »

kiramdear wrote: I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)
Yeah, that was a high-energy, non-stop Ricken-jam 8) ....... I'm still feeling worn out and a twinge in my back from guitar slinging, still this evening. We are heading back to L.A. tomorrow ....
Hope everyone had a good time and it was nice to see RRF friends and meet some new participants this year ! :)

Please post pictures ! :)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Rich, I want to thank you personally for your ceaseless effort in organizing this year's BARC. It was great to have your help this year. I think because of you it was as well-attended and successful as it could have possibly been. Thank you, Rich! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
8mileshigher

2013: Another Bay Area (BARC)...Again, one of these days ?

Post by 8mileshigher »

Thanks for your kind words..... it was a collective effort of all who came and made it a fun afternoon.
Special thanks to newbie BARCer Michael for sitting in on drums and John and Harry did it all ---- with each taking turns on guitar, bass, drums and vocals ! :D
modrock

Post by modrock »

kiramdear wrote:Gosh, I actually kind of like the pictures of me this year. I put on a little weight and it makes me look a little healthier than in years past. Thanks, Doug!

The jam really got off the ground when John A. got there. Thanks for giving us some direction, John! :) And to Harry and his lovely lady - thanks for coming even if for a little while. It was short but sweet. I have to repeat that this was the liveliest jam we've had yet. It was non-stop. We barely even stopped for pizza! :lol: Everybody was thirsty for the experience, I guess. 8)
Diet time for me Kira, wow, it will prove difficult in the middle of summer, but I look enormous. And yeah Doug, it was a bit loud, probably due to me cranking the little Vibroverb up and adjusting the volume on my guitar so I could hear myself play with you and Rich. I think I need some pedals, yes ?

Had a great time, and thanks to everyone ! Hope you made it home safely everyone, I only had a 40 minute drive on the 101 and traffic was very light north bound.

Let's do it again after I lose 50 pounds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gary F. ( modrock )
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Cool. Harry has half of it and there's a picture in Doug's batch that shows me on the MG '74 lefty and John A.'s C64 right behind. Again, geek out on the differences (walnut wings, 7 dot markers, toaster PUP on his, but I got the Red Dots). I really like that Walnut finish. I'd never seen that in person. It's classy. :wink:

Toss in Jeffrey's picture and we have just about everything 4001/3 covered (checkered binding somewhere?)

Thanks again everyone. You're a great group of folks.

And play more Sabbath. Pretend they're a jazz band (geezer and bill can swing, man)

I'll play more Petty.

*oh sorry, details. That's a 4003S-LH from 1993. It became mine last fall. Best as I can tell, everything is original, but Paul W will tell me later in the year. I'd like to change the wiring/PUPs to something similar to the early Chris Squire signature basses, if I can ever figure that out. There is this growl and clang that Paul D'Amour got when he was playing with Tool that I love. The cosmetics I am good with, until I find a silver-on-black TRC that would fit. Then it's game on.
Last edited by Lefty4001 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'turn up the bass'
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

Best ones I had on the phone
Attachments
BARCa.jpg
BARCb.jpg
BARCc.jpg
'turn up the bass'
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

modrock wrote: And yeah Doug, it was a bit loud, probably due to me cranking the little Vibroverb up and adjusting the volume on my guitar so I could hear myself play with you and Rich. I think I need some pedals, yes ?
It wasn't you, Gary--we all got a little energetic the second half! I think we had more (and louder) amps this time around, too. Your amp has the same problem mine does--it tends to beam across the room where everyone else can hear it better than you can hear it yourself. You should try the tilt legs. I plan to make a tilt-back stand for mine. Pedals can be fun, but I think your amp sounded great for the classic chimey stuff--especially with the 12-string. If you want dirt from a Fender it's either going to be pretty dang loud or you'll want a pedal!

I'm having another go at the pics. I had a small window to post yesterday and the forum size limit bit me again. I've resized and will start putting them up here.
If it is to be, it is up to me.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Pics...

Gary with his birthday 330 and Vibroverb RI amp.

Rich's cool 480 and 360-12.

Better shot of the 480. During the jam Harry commented to me that he REALLY liked the way that guitar looks...

My 1996 360WB-12 with trapeze and stripped fretboard & my 650C with the 500k volume pot mod. John A's 650C is getting the mod next.

Mike's MG 1997 RI which has really nice birdseye on the front which you may not be able to make out in my phone pic.

One of Johnnie's lefty basses (sorry, I never remember all the bass models--it isn't a 4003, it's a ???)
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Second set...

Mike's 660-12 (I think) with awesome finish and oven knobs.

Gary playing his beautiful V64. Super chime with the Vibroverb.

Some of the gear during a rare break in the action (I think the pizza arrived). That's Mike's cool 2-tone AC-30 with a Weber blue and a scumback in it. Great Vox tone!

Kira with her checker bound custom ruby 320.

Gary, Johnnie and Mike during the jam. Not only did Mike do a great job on drums, he tuned up the kit for Music Spectrum. We should have asked for a discount!

Kira and Rich trading licks. Gary's headstock in foreground.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

More...

Mike on skins...

Gary and Johnnie with his MG 4001(?)

Rich with his 370WB and singing (was this during the Floyd jam?). Note the bound headstock on Kira's 320.

Kira took some really tasty leads with the 320 through Mike's AC-30.

John A's stuff including the 4001C64 bass that he rocked on a few songs.

Harry started out on drums when he arrived...
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Even more...

Johnnie and Harry...was this during Come Together? That one really did come together well!

With Harry on drums, Mike finally gets a chance to play some guitar! The ever-energetic John A with the none more black 330 through my rig.

A better shot of Johnnie and his MG bass.

Rich models his cool 480. That color looks great with the fretboard wood (bubinga?) Rickenbacker used in that era.

Gary on the jangly V64 again...

Johnnie on the lefty, John A's C64 in the background beside "the little bass rig that could."

Mike's lady friend (I'm sorry, but I've forgotten her name) doing a great job on White Rabbit--gotta have some San Francisco sound at BARC! Kira took a turn with Rich's 480.

John, Mike, and Kira near the end of White Rabbit.

Kira's collection--check out the little '57 tulip! It's tiny and so light. When I helped her load in I thought the case was empty!
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Almost done...

It got pretty crowded in the jam room!

Gary and Johnnie--cool lefty MG.

Kira with Rich's 480.

The multi-talented Harry takes a turn on guitar. I switched on plenty of dirt and Harry delivered some great sounding Black Sabbath riffs and some convincing Ozzy vocals to boot.

The equally multi-talented John A takes a turn on drums.

John A is clearly enjoying Harry's combo Iommi/Ozzy impersonation.

Johnnie came into his own on the heavier songs and rocked the little rig hard.

It was a fun event this year. Thanks to everyone for coming out and participating. Hope to see everyone (and more) next time!

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”