Let's stir this up!

Discussing the music of Tom Petty
frickengruvin

Let's stir this up!

Post by frickengruvin »

This topic has been still for way too long...there's a few things going on in "Pettyland"..

A new release is scheduled for early 2014, TP&HB have been touring all year long to rave reviews-surprisingly not much is being mentioned here!

I've heard that TP is struggling in the health department-no word exactly on what the issue is, but many others have mentioned when seeing him in concert he appeared frail. One issue I have noticed on You Tube clips I have watched is the eratic shakig of his left hand while playing. The condition does not seem to affect the tonality of his playing, but it must be an annoyance to Tom. Of course we all know he shattered his left hand some time back while recording Southern Accents, however, I do not know if this issue is associated with that injury...

What say ye Rick brethren???
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: Let's stir this up!

Post by jimk »

This is all quite news to me.
JimK
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

frickengruvin wrote:I do not know if this issue is associated with that injury...
I have heard that it is.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I was upset I couldn't see him on this last tour, but I hear the Fonda and Beacon shows were powerhouses and intimate settings the band couldn't do at a festival or arena. At this run of shows, "Free Fallin'" wasn't played at all.

TP nor MC used the custom Rics that were made for them last January. Mike used his original '89 350 until sometime during the Fonda shows, when it became a backup for his '64 SG. Campbell also modified his long time stock 360/12 NS '65 and OS '67 models with 12-saddle bridges, which someone in the backline crew apparently put on upside down.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

TP and MC were using the recent Ricks made for them on the summer 2013 tour, and Tom - who is not a big guy to start with - didn't appear frail to me.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Watch his left hand:

frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

I was PM'd with disturbing news on Petty's health, but it is nothing that has been confirmed so i will not make comment on it.

The clip that John posted above absolutely indicates that something is going on with Tom's left hand. There are several other similar clips.

He is and has been one of my top 3 artists since his group came on the scene, and I respect and admire his morals, standing up to the big wigs in the music industry on more than one occassion. Hopefully all is well with the man. A new release is coming soon, and I for one, am looking forward to it!! I'm guessing it will come out on vinyl, and I am looking forward to that as well!
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

My hand does that when I play a Fender.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
frickengruvin

Post by frickengruvin »

johnhall wrote:My hand does that when I play a Fender.

That's funny....You a regular Bob Hope!!! :lol:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

From last year, but still worthwhile:
http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a3 ... njury.html
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

johnhall wrote:My hand does that when I play a Fender.
Nice!

Return to “Tom Petty Forum: by Jake Kety”