Colorado

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Colorado

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:
jps wrote:
cassius987 wrote:A thought occurred to me, should we label our cases with masking tape or something so we don't haul off with someone else's bass afterward?
Don't laugh, that has, in fact, happened. :shock:
What/who's did you make of with??!! :lol: :lol:
I'm not saying! :twisted:

Not me. I don't recall, perhaps John Simmons and John Williams or some such, did just that at a MARF, IIRC; they each grabbed the other's instruments case and took it home with them.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Well, yeah, when you just put "John" on the case, it's bound to get confusing...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

cjj wrote:Well, yeah, when you just put "John" on the case, it's bound to get confusing...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY!!! I resemble that remark!!! :lol: :lol:
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

cassius987 wrote:The fated day approaches...

A thought occurred to me, should we label our cases with masking tape or something so we don't haul off with someone else's bass afterward? I bet a lot of us will be bringing an SKB case (I know I will).
Ha! The ones I plan to bring are all pre-mid-80's so they have the old, atomic bomb proof wood frame cases. Only my late 90's 4003 has the SKB as far as I know, and I may leave it at home (not sure). I think the 2030 case is decorated with all sorts of stickers. It was a gigged bass, but not by me. Still a good idea though.

I'll make sure to bring my camera. It has lots of memory.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickboy88 wrote:I'll make sure to bring my camera. It has lots of memory.
How's yours? :mrgreen:

Have a great time, guys. 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

We did indeed meet and we took a group picture with my camera. It was good to see everyone. I'll get the picture up later today and post more.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Yep, it was a lot of fun to meet you all and see a variety of basses I don't normally get to see. Plus, Dan was a very gracious host, and thank you Paul for signing my book. :)
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

cassius987 wrote:Yep, it was a lot of fun to meet you all and see a variety of basses I don't normally get to see. Plus, Dan was a very gracious host, and thank you Paul for signing my book. :)
Indeed; there were some very unique instruments yesterday, and what a great shop Premier Bass Guitars is!
I am also grateful to Paul for signing my book, and hope he had a safe and enjoyable trip.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Was Paul's more important half with him?
skychurch

Post by skychurch »

We all had a really great time. It was so nice to see some friends who share a common interest in things musical.

Dan's store, Premier Bass Guitars, is an amazing store with lots of fabulous basses, amps and accessories. If you live in Colorado, I highly recommend taking a drive and visiting his shop. Or, visit online @ premierbassguitars.com. Dan is a great guy and a gracious host.

I was able to get a signed copy of Paul's book, too. What a great Rickenbacker resource! I've been reading it since I got home yesterday and learned more about Rickenbacker basses and their history than I ever knew existed.

I'm new to bass playing so it was a lot of fun getting to try out lots of different Ricks. I also got some invaluable tips from the "real" bass players there who were generous enough to share some of the secrets of the masters.

My favorite bass was Joshua's fretless. I think it was his 4001FL although I'm not positive. When I played it, my jaw dropped! I've never played a bass that felt so natural (that's probably not the right word). It felt like it was a part of me although I didn't get to take it home :-)

Looking forward to the pictures.

Jim
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Here are the pics. I may play around a bit till I like the size.

For the Pic 1, left to right: Joshua, Sean M., Jim McK, Paul B. (need I say more), Jeff R., David O. (me), and finally Dan the store owner and gracious host.
For Pic 2, it is the same less Dan. I wanted to post it as well, as everyone has big smiles. Sean is holding my fireglo 2030, and the rest of us are holding one example of our own basses. I have my trusty jetglo 4001S (built in 1982).

I also got Paul to sign my book, and I enjoyed chatting with him about Ric bass trivia. Thanks to his book research, he knows a lot (trust me). Joshua helped me to hopefully ID the strings on my mapleglo 4003S. I really like them, but since the bass was an ebay buy I had no clue what they were.

A final thanks to Joshua for helping to set it all up with Dan Basica at Dan's shop. Great guy. I will be back to his store. It is so darn close to where I work it'll be hard to stay away. I enjoyed meeting everyone and it was good see Jeff Rath again after it had been 4 1/2 years or since I went to his house and visited his bass lair in the lower level.

I had meant to learn more about compression and getting that front edge with it, but I'll have plenty of time to get back to Premier.
Attachments
Colo Bass Group + Paul + Dan (Pic 1)
Colo Bass Group + Paul + Dan (Pic 1)
Colo Bass Group + Paul (Pic 2)
Colo Bass Group + Paul (Pic 2)
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

jps wrote:Was Paul's more important half with him?
Yes, she eventually joined us after doing some laundry. It was good to meet her as well.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickboy88 wrote:
jps wrote:Was Paul's more important half with him?
Yes, she eventually joined us after doing some laundry. It was good to meet her as well.
I'm glad Dorothy made the trip. 8)
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

That was a good bunch of people, and Rics. The red bass Jim's hanging onto is my 4003/5 (I think his FG 4003 was in his case at the time). I wisely went with the "eyes shut" pose for photo 2. :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”