Rick 1966 325

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paul9650

Rick 1966 325

Post by paul9650 »

Hi

I have noticed on a forum talk of the rick sold on eBay in November, I was that lucky bidder. :)

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 1960's accent vibrato?

I am currently using cellulose thinner to remove the black paint and to get the f hole back in it, the original paint underneath is in pretty good condition apart from where it's been sanded to fill the f hole, serial number for the rick is FA156.

I will keep the forum updated with pics as I proceed.

It's going to need small touch up where it's been sanded to fill the f hole, not sure wether to have this part resparayed or not? Would it de value it at all.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Paul. :D
godber
Advanced Member

Re: Rick 1966 325

Post by godber »

paul9650 wrote:Hi

I have noticed on a forum talk of the rick sold on eBay in November, I was that lucky bidder. :)

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 1960's accent vibrato?

I am currently using cellulose thinner to remove the black paint and to get the f hole back in it, the original paint underneath is in pretty good condition apart from where it's been sanded to fill the f hole, serial number for the rick is FA156.

I will keep the forum updated with pics as I proceed.

It's going to need small touch up where it's been sanded to fill the f hole, not sure wether to have this part resparayed or not? Would it de value it at all.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Paul. :D
Congrats Paul. I was thinking about bidding with the same thoughts for restoration - I've done this kind of thing before on the '68 330 linked below. Hope this helps...

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=403736&hilit=+mapleglo
collin

Post by collin »

Since it's fireglo under there, , you won't be able to match the color around the f-hole, unfortunately. At minimum, you'll need to refinish the entire face of the guitar body to have it look like original again.

Regardless of what you do, don't worry about whether or not it's de-valued. The "original" value of the guitar went out the window the day the f-hole was filled and it was refinished.....even if you correct these modifications. Good news is that you have a nice affordable vintage player! 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

collin wrote:Good news is that you have a nice affordable vintage player! 8)
+1! 8)
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Nice to hear some more about this one. I had been in contact with the previous owner when he submitted it's details to my database. It sounds like it's found a good home where it can get an appropriate restoration. I had a '64 Rose Morris that had been painted black as well. Fortunately the nong hadn't filled in the soundhole like your one, and I was able to carefully strip it back to a reasonably good Fireglo finish.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”