Love my Rics but its time for a Tele. Ric/Tele owners help!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Love my Rics but its time for a Tele. Ric/Tele owners he

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:I recently came across a Hohner TE Custom XII, same model as my first elec 12er I owned in the mid 90's, which I sold to fund my first Rick (360/12).
Did you sell a Rick to fund it? :P
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I agree with the consensus on the Strummer model. Still kicking myself for passing on a nice one a while back. But what I do have is the affinity butterscotch model that was $150 new. It's actually really decent. Seems it's hard to go wrong with such a simple, classic design. 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

kiramdear wrote:I agree with the consensus on the Strummer model. Still kicking myself for passing on a nice one a while back. But what I do have is the affinity butterscotch model that was $150 new. It's actually really decent. Seems it's hard to go wrong with such a simple, classic design. 8)
that's a great point. I've had a couple Squier Teles and they were great guitars "for the price" as if that's some kind of caveat.I hot-rodded one with Texas special P/Ups and for still less than the price of a Standard Tele I had a guitar that would go toe to toe with any other tele out there! the Squiers are great looking, great playing instruments. Actually, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Squier Vintage Modified Thinline based on the '69 Telecaster before I found out my beloved Nashville Deluxe could be bought back.
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

fluffy wrote:
kiramdear wrote:I agree with the consensus on the Strummer model. Still kicking myself for passing on a nice one a while back. But what I do have is the affinity butterscotch model that was $150 new. It's actually really decent. Seems it's hard to go wrong with such a simple, classic design. 8)
that's a great point. I've had a couple Squier Teles and they were great guitars "for the price" as if that's some kind of caveat.I hot-rodded one with Texas special P/Ups and for still less than the price of a Standard Tele I had a guitar that would go toe to toe with any other tele out there! the Squiers are great looking, great playing instruments. Actually, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Squier Vintage Modified Thinline based on the '69 Telecaster before I found out my beloved Nashville Deluxe could be bought back.
Thanks, Craig. :) Yeah, actually, this cutie is on the list for some hot-rodding as soon as I finish a couple of pending projects.
All I wanna do is rock!
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ok search for a Mid 80s Jap Tele Mnnnn nnn Nice guitars also search for a early 80s Rick Infact just get a time machine and go back! :lol:
Attachments
tele.jpg
tele2.jpg
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

This thread has inspired me to take my Tele (Custom Shop NOS '62 Custom) out of the closet and put it in my rotation of guitars in the office/studio. The Tele had probably been in the closet for the better part of a year. The other guitars in the current rotation includes an AmSe Strat and Huss & Dalton OM.
Attachments
62 Tele Front.jpg
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I recently came across a Hohner TE Custom XII, same model as my first elec 12er I owned in the mid 90's, which I sold to fund my first Rick (360/12).
Did you sell a Rick to fund it? :P
Sort of. I've been accepting installment payments from a local buyer for my 250, so that came in handy.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

ricricric wrote:I have two 360s (fireglo and jetglo), I love them and everything about them. I am now looking at getting a Tele. I played one at a local shop and fell in love with it. It wasn't "Ric Love" but it was love. Check out a similar one here: http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/Fende ... 200339.htm

I used to own a Fender American Special Tele before buying my first Ric. I ended up neglecting my Tele so much that I sold it and bought another 360. I sold the Tele because it played so differently. Which is weird because people always hate on the playability of Rics not Teles. I even have bigger hands and I still love the way they play.

So what is so different about the Ric neck? The 360 has a 1.63" nut width and most Teles are around 1.65 to 1.68". Its got to be unnoticeable. The neck radius is different too. This Tele is 7.5" and most Teles are 9.5" compared to the Ric which is 10", still very close. Even though this Tele had a 7.5" radius I couldn't really tell the difference when playing. The guitar just felt good like my Ric. I am unsure how similar or different it was supposed to feel but it felt great. Whereas when I pick up a Fender Standard Tele it feels HUGE and bulky, which i don't like. The Standard Tele has closer neck and nut width specs to my Ric but it feels way bigger because of the Medium Jumbo frets.

Obviously I love this Tele and I'm probably going to buy it soon. Since I never thought I would like a Tele again I wanted Ric/Tele owners to weigh in on what they own. Anybody own a Tele that holds up to their Ric playability wise? Anyone happen to own one of these vintage Teles? (it doesn't need to be a Thinline, all vintage have same specs).

Thanks!

Edit: *I am not selling my Rics! Nothing can compare to them! I am only asking this question because you can never have too many guitars!
That is sweet!

I have 2 360's 6 & 12 string & doubt I'lll ever sell them. But I do like my modded Tele.
Last edited by larsongs on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

I have two 360s (fireglo and jetglo), I love them and everything about them. I am now looking at getting a Tele. I played one at a local shop and fell in love with it. It wasn't "Ric Love" but it was love. Check out a similar one here: http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/Fende ... 200339.htm

I used to own a Fender American Special Tele before buying my first Ric. I ended up neglecting my Tele so much that I sold it and bought another 360. I sold the Tele because it played so differently. Which is weird because people always hate on the playability of Rics not Teles. I even have bigger hands and I still love the way they play.

So what is so different about the Ric neck? The 360 has a 1.63" nut width and most Teles are around 1.65 to 1.68". Its got to be unnoticeable. The neck radius is different too. This Tele is 7.5" and most Teles are 9.5" compared to the Ric which is 10", still very close. Even though this Tele had a 7.5" radius I couldn't really tell the difference when playing. The guitar just felt good like my Ric. I am unsure how similar or different it was supposed to feel but it felt great. Whereas when I pick up a Fender Standard Tele it feels HUGE and bulky, which i don't like. The Standard Tele has closer neck and nut width specs to my Ric but it feels way bigger because of the Medium Jumbo frets.

Obviously I love this Tele and I'm probably going to buy it soon. Since I never thought I would like a Tele again I wanted Ric/Tele owners to weigh in on what they own. Anybody own a Tele that holds up to their Ric playability wise? Anyone happen to own one of these vintage Teles? (it doesn't need to be a Thinline, all vintage have same specs).

Thanks!

Edit: *I am not selling my Rics! Nothing can compare to them! I am only asking this question because you can never have too many guitars![/quote]

That is sweet!

I have 2 360's 6 & 12 string & doubt I'lll ever sell them. But I do like my modded Tele.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

I find that Telecasters and Rickenbackers complement one another quite nicely sound-wise!
crstory

Post by crstory »

A couple of years ago I see an ad for a beautiful 1960 Ric Capri. Alder top, incredible. It was for sale up the road in Nashville. I called the seller and arranged a meeting to play the Capri. I had just bought a 58 330 Capri. I played his guitar but liked the sound of the 1958 better. He says that he has an old Fender Esquire that he's about to put on eBay. It was an White 1959 esquire with a letter from Pete Anderson. I didn't know who Pete Anderson was. I bought it because it is all original and sounds/ plays so different than any of my Rics. Strings bend easily. It's just a great guitar that I was meant to find. Love everything about it. I think variety is what keeps your creative juices flowing.
"A Promise never Broken is a strange thing, Indeed." Kevn Kinney
Rickadelphia

Post by Rickadelphia »

I have a new Ric 620/6 and a Squier Classic Vibe Custom (CVC) Tele. The first thing one would say is: how can you compare a Made in USA primo guitar like a Ric 620 with a MIC CVC Tele. Well the equalizer with regards to playability is that the Squier CVC has had the frets leveled and crowned along with a complete set-up by a really great luthier. Squier CVC's are actually really nice players stock but this one will honestly stack up playability wise against any $$$ Tele IMO. That all being said, even comparing the 620/6 (which may be the most "similar" current production Ric to a Tele) is just plain hard to do. Ric's have 24 3/4" scales compared to the Tele's 25 3/4" scale. Ric 620 has "neck through" construction while the Tele is bolt-on. Given that both guitars are properly set-up, etc, It just comes down to personal taste. I find the Ric 620 with it's 24 3/4" scale generally easier to play than the long scale CVC Tele (I also have really small hands) but the Tele which has med jumbo frets is easier to bend strings on (mine is strung w/ 9-42's to compensate for the higher string tension of the longer scale). I could go on and on, but when it comes to guitars, no matter what it is....if it's made well, properly set-up, sounds good and you really dig it...you can't go wrong.
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

I have never really got on that well with Telecasters, though I should as the Quo are one of my favourite bands and Noddy Holder made some of Slade's very early classics with a Telecaster (and also a Les Paul that he never took on stage). This one by Squier has been doing strange things to my mind for a while now. - white with black binding. If I try it, I know I'm done for.

Popeyekahn

Post by Popeyekahn »

I agree on the Squier guitars, and think they are
better than the MIM Fenders.
Over the winter, I wanted a Tele but,
I don't really care for the Tele headstock.
I ended up getting a Squier Vintage Modified
Telecaster Special in Butternut Blonde.
It has a Jazz Master neck and headstock,
and a Jazz Master neck pickup. It cost about $300.
Here's a video demo some fellow made.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80IqpXz1xc
2005 4003 Fireglo
2008 4003 Jetglo
2013 620/6 Jetglo

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”