Fender Starcaster

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Fender Starcaster

Post by gellkeller »

Has anyone had any experience with these guitars. Any advice on spotting a good one from a bad one would be much appreciated.
paologregorio

Re: Fender Starcaster

Post by paologregorio »

I haven't really heard anything good about these ever.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I first saw Radiohead utilise these curious beasts and soon developed a sort of crush on the distinctive Gibcaster shape.
The flirtation didn't last as long as my interest in Coronados, but it lead me to the same conclusion: they stink!

But unlike the inescapable tinny sound of every Coronado I played, the Starcasters featured a squelchy AM radio vibe ranging to muddy grit sound. I tried a few at Mike's Music in Cincinnati and another at a guitar show. My testing was limited to only 3 guitars (they are quite rare).

They are strange beasts and I can see the allure. Maybe there are some special ones floating which sound great.

Anyone?
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Noel, I have a 1974 Telecaster Custom with the WRH and it is an absolute beauty to play. It's strange that the sound coming out of the Starcaster would be ordinary. I have a great love for the Seth Lover humbuckers. Some of my fave guitarists use this and have recorded with it - Jonny Greenwood and Jesse Tobias.

I guess more to do with the body shape etc. than the pickups themeselves. The aesthetics of them are pretty intersesting and I can see a couple of Gibson models in them - ES-335, Firebird.

I guess I'll have to get my hands on one and try it out for myself.

BTW, I really dig your music.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Thanks Brett. :oops:

Like you, I am fond of the S.L. humbuckers. The only reason I sold my '72 Custom was its maple neck. Seems I'm allergic to those things.

I hope there are some gems out there in both the Coronado and Starcaster lines. (Steve Kilbey always had a commanding presence with his Coronado basses).

For what it's worth, a guitar guru once said that a Fender Starcaster was the sole production model which could get you in the Trey Anastasio guitar realm. Not sure if he was referencing the body style or the pickups.

Be wary, shoppers, there are a lot of dogs out there.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I've always had a curiousity about these due to Jonny's use of them, but the only one I ever got to play was a real dog. Maybe he's realized it too - he's using a Gretsch Tennessean and occasionally a 335 now.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Sounds nice here, though:

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I know nothing of these guitars, and have never played one. I have a friend at school who has one, though, and he's no fan of it.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Jake, does he still have it?
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Waiting for a RI on backorder till January!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Hell of a thread revival.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

1a12 wrote:Waiting for a RI on backorder till January!
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it Adam!
1a12

Post by 1a12 »

Thoughts: had it for a few months now. The quality of the build is purty nice over all. Amazing sustain (intonated) compared to the old ones. No comparison to an old one, no offense, just a different guitar despite the similar looks. The "Wide Range Humbuckers" are definitely decent and there is a lot of tonal diversity (adding that tweaking p/u heights and individual pole pieces helps) There are plenty of clips to look at on Youtube now. For the bread it is well worth it. haha, I did get it on Black Friday and with a coupon! I'll stick with my JG370VP for most of my gigs, but it's a nice backup.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”