Ric Neck Girth Envy

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

suedehead71

Ric Neck Girth Envy

Post by suedehead71 »

ok, so i have a nice lefty 330 and i really never realized that the neck is a little thicker than most, until i played on several (righty) Rics hanging at the music store recently. i was downright envious at the ease in which they played. the necks seemed slimmer than my 330, which is registered here and i believe was an early 2000's model. i searched forums but didn't find any definitive info regarding what Years (if any) Rics were made with slightly thicker necks?

i was wondering is it more cost effective to have this one modded or sell it to someone that prefers more girth and begin hunting for a slimmer Ric?

thoughts? info? all appreciated, good sirs (and ladies).
i will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered.
8mileshigher

Ric Neck Girth Envy

Post by 8mileshigher »

Were you comparing like models LH 330 against RH 330 ?
From my own experience with 330 (and what I have seen posted on the Forum), it seems that 330 necks are more chunky at the nut area than other 300 series.

That is my experience with my own 330 compared with 370 WB, 360-12, and several V-64 models. Maybe you should check out other Ric Lefty models and see how they feel.
scotty

Re: Ric Neck Girth Envy

Post by scotty »

Colin just buy another one :twisted: Find a early 70s 330 somethin`thats got soul.
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

8mileshigher wrote:Were you comparing like models LH 330 against RH 330 ?
From my own experience with 330 (and what I have seen posted on the Forum), it seems that 330 necks are more chunky at the nut area than other 300 series.

That is my experience with my own 330 compared with 370 WB, 360-12, and several V-64 models. Maybe you should check out other Ric Lefty models and see how they feel.

yeah was comparing 330's and 360's, all RH's. all were way more comfy! i've owned several other rics, LH's and never really noticed, i was happy to have them, now i wonder if i was playing thicker necks all this time. i liken it to a Les Paul vs Tele.
i will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or numbered.
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

scotty wrote:Colin just buy another one :twisted: Find a early 70s 330 somethin`thats got soul.

yeah seriously considering that route. there's just the hassle of finding one first, heheh
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Late 90's to mid 2000's were baseball bat era. They've gotten thinner recently but not like vintage. Go vintage. Of course lefties are rare, so maybe have yours shaved down and refin'd?
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

jdogric12 wrote:Late 90's to mid 2000's were baseball bat era. They've gotten thinner recently but not like vintage. Go vintage. Of course lefties are rare, so maybe have yours shaved down and refin'd?

i was wondering about that because i already have toasters in, and trapeze tailpiece, and i do love the fireglo and wood grain. no idea what that would cost though, i'd imagine Not cheap?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Meh....I'd learn to live with it. Unless that is you're in some imminent danger of developing carpel tunnel syndrome.
JimK
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

jimk wrote:Meh....I'd learn to live with it. Unless that is you're in some imminent danger of developing carpel tunnel syndrome.
JimK

spent some quality time with it last night. it charmed me with its loveliness again and i was like, "awww, you're not so bad." Music swelled, waves crashed, fade out.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Keep enjoying it for now. Set up an ebay notification to alert you to vintage lefties, wait, wait, wait, pounce, sell the '00. Your patience will net you both a great guitar and a profit.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

I may be alone on this one, but I love the chunky necks.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

jdogric12 wrote:Keep enjoying it for now. Set up an ebay notification to alert you to vintage lefties, wait, wait, wait, pounce, sell the '00. Your patience will net you both a great guitar and a profit.

wise words!
suedehead71

Post by suedehead71 »

Clint wrote:I may be alone on this one, but I love the chunky necks.

you know, it's got its fans. friends who have played it (NOT ric fanatics) liked it and my guitar tech said he thought it was a unique "in betweener" as in not uncomfortably thick, but not the usual slim neck either. he kept playing it and got the action as easy as it can be.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

For me, if the TONE of the guitar can't be beaten, then I can live with the neck, regardless of size/shape.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

JakeK wrote:For me, if the TONE of the guitar can't be beaten, then I can live with the neck, regardless of size/shape.
That's true to a point. But no matter how good a guitar sounds, if it isn't comfortable I'm not going to play it very much.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”