Help with a TR 75 Stereo Amp...

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnnyaquanet

Help with a TR 75 Stereo Amp...

Post by johnnyaquanet »

I have this old Rickenbacker amp with no speakers. Can any one tell me about it, like what year its from? Is it worth fixing up? Any info would help thanks!
DSCN1163.JPG
DSCN1162.JPG
DSCN1159.JPG
Attachments
DSCN1160.JPG
ethanrusso

Re: Help with a TR 75 Stereo Amp...

Post by ethanrusso »

Check out this page: http://jzu.free.fr/rick/amp/TRR.html

Your amp would be 1977 or some time after that. Sure, it's very likely worth fixing up. It might just need new speakers. Where are you located? If in the Northwest, I've got just the place for you.
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

it is good amp for transistor and worth fixing if you plan to use it as it is LOUD and has great clean sound...the original speakers were two HEAVY beasts probably by eminence...you can make it quite portable amp with some modern speakers like tonkerlites though..
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Enter the serial number at http://www.rickenbacker.com/service_serials.asp to find out the month and year it was made. I believe you have to add a zero to the beginning of your serial number for it to work though.
mickcivic

Post by mickcivic »

I also got my hands on one of these just yesterday.

Mine is in great shape, but it is missing a fuse cap/holder. I tried Radio Shack but the one I got from their doesn't screw into place.

One other thing is that the bass knob on the first channel is snapped off--post and all. I'll probably just bring it to someone for that repair.

Can anyone point me to a resource that would have these kinds of parts? Any fuse holder that works is fine, but it would be nice to have an original knob.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Get me a close-up of that fuseholder. I'll see what I have.

Aargh, I used to have bunches of those board mounted pots. I'd be surprised to find even one now. Yeah, that's a toughy.

Best,

Tracy
mickcivic

Post by mickcivic »

tracy wrote:Get me a close-up of that fuseholder. I'll see what I have.

Aargh, I used to have bunches of those board mounted pots. I'd be surprised to find even one now. Yeah, that's a toughy.

Best,

Tracy
Thanks Tracy. I was actually going to be getting in touch with you about it on Monday. Here's a picture:

I've tried the Radioshack avenue but nothing they had would quite work.

Also, if you come across a pot, let me know so I can buy it from you.

Thanks!
mickcivic

Post by mickcivic »

ALSO...

If anyone can chime in on some details about how this amp operates, specifically the "Effects In/Out" jack in the back and how it works, would be helpful.

I've seen pictures of TR 75s with a Preamp #1 and Preamp #2 jacks in the rear, but this doesn't have those. I'm wondering what the difference is and when/why the changes were made.

Thanks!
mickcivic

Post by mickcivic »

Okay, I hate to do this but it's time for me to resurrect this old, obscure thread out of desperation.

I'm STILL looking for a fuse cap for my TR75. I have one but I need the second one.

EVERY fuse cap I've found/bought doesn't work because of a "lip" around the post that protrudes, and prevents the cap from screwing all the way in (this is the best way I can describe it).

If you look at the picture I've posted below, the area around the metal post part is recessed, allowing it to fit into the holder of my TR75. I'm putting the call out to ANYONE that might have one of these laying around.

I've gone from Radio Shack, to a local electrical supplier, to buying "vintage" fuse caps on Ebay, all the way to dusty old electronic repair shops, and nothing I've found fits.

Hopefully someone can help.

cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

If you just want to get things working, consider changing the whole fuse holder. If it's absolute authenticity, you may find that the part just doesn't exist anymore. You might be able to take one of the new ones to a machine shop and get them to carve out the material that's causing the newer one to not fit (assuming here that you don't have the means to do that yourself).

Also, looking at the body of the fuse holder to see if there is any manufacturer info might help too...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
mickcivic

Post by mickcivic »

I don't really care about authenticity--I just want it to work.

I have considered replacing the entire holder but I was hoping to just find a cap to simply get to work with the existing holder.

Your machine shop suggestion is a good one, I hadn't thought of that. But for the cost and trouble, I'll probably just get the holder replaced.

Thanks!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yeah, the machine shop idea was just to try to preserve as much originality as possible. But in reality, fuse holders are fuse holders, and for a few bucks, they are readily available and easy to replace with a wrench and soldering iron.

Here's just one place to get 'em:
http://www.mouser.com/Circuit-Protectio ... 91Z1yzxj24

But I'd guess places like Radio Shack would have them too...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Fran

Post by Fran »

Hi everyone!
Do someone know how can I get a TR75 schematics and user's manual, please?

Fran
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

I can help you with the schematic but not the manual:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19345.pdf
Fran

Post by Fran »

Thanks a lot John!!!!
Really helpful!!!

I'm trying to understand how the stereo input works!!!
Any suggestion is welcome....

Fran

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”