Alternate Wiring Layouts for 4001 or 4003 Bass

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gilmourisgod

Alternate Wiring Layouts for 4001 or 4003 Bass

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I posted this question a while back and got a collective yawn...., guess I'll try it again! Most people like the stock Rick 4001/4003 control layout of 2T/2V and a pickup selector. It's one of the few things I don't love about a Rick bass, in that any change in volume necessarily changes the balance between pickups (unless you master some kind of two-fingered volume adjustment trick), and therefore the tone. Has anyone tried a rewire (preferably on a spare pickguard!) with a Master Volume, Pickup Blend, Treble, and Bass knobs? I realize this would probably negate the stereo function (which I never use anyway), and then I wouldn't be sure what to do with the pickup selector. Suggestions? If anyone has seen or can post a wiring diagram for such a scenario, I'd much appreciate it.
Wiker

Re: Alternate Wiring Layouts for 4001 or 4003 Bass

Post by Wiker »

I tried it on another bass a few years ago, and it works as expected.

It can be done of course with a blend pot and a master volume pot. Need a proper blend pot where both pickups are at 100% in the middle, turning away from centre one pickup stay at 100% while the other is reduced. I.e., you get either bridge pickup at full and turning down neck pickup, or you get neck pickup at full and turning down the bridge pickup when turning the knob in the other direction.
Don’t know what resistance to use - 250K/250K blend and 500K master volume maybe.

If I was to do this myself I probably would do a simpler wiring without a blend pot, but swap out bridge pickup volume for a master volume instead.
On all my basses the only way to blend both pickups is to turn down neck volume to bring bridge pickup in. Neck volume up full is just as playing neck pickup solo anyway (on all my basses), so keeping neck at full and turning down bridge pickup doesn’t have any effect. That part of a blend pot (neck at full, turning down bridge) would be completely useless (to me).
The way I use the knobs is bridge volume always at 100% (I never touch it), neck volume turned down a little to get a god blend (and I leave neck volume there also when playing neck solo), and use the selector switch to go between both pickups, neck or bridge solo.
For me (as long as bridge volume stays at full) neck volume sort of functions as a blend knob - fully up gets 100% neck / no bridge, fully down gets 100% bridge / no neck.

So, if I was going to wire for master volume I would rewire it to use bridge volume as master (as I never use that knob anyway), and bass volume will function as blend knob (as it already does).
(Can draw a diagram if you like.)
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Geir
Thanks for the reply. I am a bit electronically challenged, so a wiring diagram would be great if you have the time.
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Gave it some more thought. The wiring I suggested, using bridge volume as master, requires a simple modification to the original wiring.

1) The cable going from output lug on neck volume pot to the output jack (red arrow in photo), just unsolder that cable from the output lug on the pot. (Put a tape around the end of the cable so that it doesn’t come in contact and short out the signal.)

2) Then solder in a short lead (blue line in photo) from that output lug on neck volume pot, to input lug on bridge volume pot (the middle lug on the pot, where signal from bridge pickup is already soldered). Now signal from both pickups should meet at that lug.

(Photo was to large to show in the forum, just click the link.)
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 35babc.jpg

Signal from bridge pickup goes straight to the bridge volume pot as before. Signal from neck pickup first goes to neck volume pot as before, but then to bridge volume pot where it meets the signal from bridge pickup, and the bridge volume pot now should act as a master volume.
(I don’t know but maybe the neck pickup could benefit from a 500K pot as master.)

Also, using a push-pull pot it should be possible to switch between standard functioning (stereo and mono output, separate volume pots) and this modified functioning (mono output, master volume + neck volume).

If you want a diagram using a proper blend pot I’ll have to draw something. (?)
Just to point it out again – when playing both pickups, with neck volume turned up full, if turning bridge volume down doesn’t give you anything useful then a proper blend pot will have no use.
Last edited by Wiker on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

Wiker wrote:...neck volume turned down a little to get a god blend (and I leave neck volume there also when playing neck solo)...
Ah, the God Blend, the perfect way to describe hitting that sweet spot :D
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

stevebasshead wrote:
Wiker wrote:...neck volume turned down a little to get a god blend (and I leave neck volume there also when playing neck solo)...
:lol: that was Good
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

stevebasshead wrote:
That was my thought too Steve! :lol:
ram

Post by ram »

be the Blend, be one with the Blend... 'As we accelerate our days to the' Blend!!!!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Here is a topic Dane Wilder, Rickenbacker wiring wiz, would be very large assistance on! Too bad he's not allowed to post here. :(

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

This Mod has a name? The GOD BLEND! I like it already. Thanks for the photo Geir, it's strictly monkey see/monkey do with me and electronics, though I am reasonably capable at soldering. Thanks again!

P.S.
Who's Dane Wilder? I keep hearing his name associated with custom wiring harnesses, must have been before my time on this site.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Turns out I already know Dane Wilder as Aceonbass over on the Talkbass forum. He's a great source of tech. Info and I've bought a few parts from him, brain fart on my part. I don't know why he's no longer allowed to post here, somebody ought to reconsider that. People who know the technical stuff are always going to add to the discussion, just my $.02.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

Gilmourisgod wrote:Turns out I already know Dane Wilder as Aceonbass over on the Talkbass forum. He's a great source of tech. Info and I've bought a few parts from him, brain fart on my part. I don't know why he's no longer allowed to post here, somebody ought to reconsider that. People who know the technical stuff are always going to add to the discussion, just my $.02.
Dane made a wiring harness for me, and I'm 100% satisfied; he used top-shelf components, his soldering is exquisite, and he was very responsive to my e-mails during the entire process.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Yep, similar experience with Dane, hassle free honorable transactions and great communication. Highly recommended.
ram

Post by ram »

I second that. Dane is great to work with. He is one of the main reasons I have a 4 to 8 conversion. And I am contemplating a harness for my 4004C from him.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
teeder

Post by teeder »

Another +1 here for Dane.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”