Online ric bass store

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

idealassets

Re: Online ric bass store

Post by idealassets »

More stuff: I see that the 4003W comes standard with a maple fret board. Usually salesmen don't know much about the woods, so I'd like to ask how nice is maple vs. rosewood on the frets. Another thought is that the fret markers on the 4003's cover almost 1/4 of the fret wood.

I actually prefer ebony on my guitars and do not own a single guitar with a rosewood fret board. BUT that is because it usually stands to reason that if a particular feature costs more, we normally prefer it more in most cases.
2007 Guild F412 Blond
2011 Rickenbacker 360/12 Maple
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

idealassets wrote:But basses do not vary that much, do they? How much could any major name brand bass vary from unit to unit?

Craig
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

idealassets wrote:But basses do not vary that much, do they? How much could any major name brand bass vary from unit to unit?
Said no bass player, ever. :lol:
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

OK, so we're saying then that you should pay more and sound demo the bass at retail store to make certain that your bass is not a lemon? Or order it online at the risk that you might have to send it back to a very disappointed online sales? (icon answers are welcomed)
2007 Guild F412 Blond
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Unfortunately, Ricks rolling off the line these days are not 100% all perfect. There seems to have been an increase in the number of complaints from purchasers of new instruments in the last couple years. Your best bet may be to buy a quality vintage instrument from a knowledgeable dealer like Chris (Pick of the Ricks) - or a new one. If you get a new one, and jump through all the warranty hoops, like immediately filling out the registration card and sending in, and your instrument needs work, RIC should send you a shipping label and return authorization number. I had to do that once and everything went smoothly. But still, I can understand not wanting the hassle of doing that.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

What's the deal in not having an online registration yet? That blew my mind.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

jdogric12 wrote:Unfortunately, Ricks rolling off the line these days are not 100% all perfect. There seems to have been an increase in the number of complaints from purchasers of new instruments in the last couple years. Your best bet may be to buy a quality vintage instrument from a knowledgeable dealer like Chris (Pick of the Ricks) - or a new one. If you get a new one, and jump through all the warranty hoops, like immediately filling out the registration card and sending in, and your instrument needs work, RIC should send you a shipping label and return authorization number. I had to do that once and everything went smoothly. But still, I can understand not wanting the hassle of doing that.
Yes, that is true all around. I bought a new acoustic 12 string (from one of the top 3 manufacturers) in 2012 and had it totally replaced due to the fact that it literally disintegrated by warping and coming unglued all over. I am not mentioning the manufacturer, since one of the CEO's personally called me and mentioned all the bad press that they were getting on the various guitar blogs. They wanted to know what I needed "to make things right"- which for me was a new replacement guitar, and the unspoken intent was probably- what I required to stop publishing all the bad chatter on the blogs.

I did get a new replacement 2013 12 string, but really, if I were paid by the hour for all the work I had to go through, I would have been able to buy a replacement guitar, and then have money left over; but that's just the way that it went for me.

It is apparent that perhaps a nice used bass would be a unit that has held up over time, and would most likely continue to perform well. Another item is that bad instrument quality is nothing new, and it usually happens in cycles, based on inflation, recession, and so many other factors.
2007 Guild F412 Blond
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

If delivered quality and having no issues with a new Rick is a concern, and not to imply all dealers mentioned wouldn't care the same, I'd go with POTR or Wildwood. Just my thoughts.
idealassets

Post by idealassets »

johnallg wrote:If delivered quality and having no issues with a new Rick is a concern, and not to imply all dealers mentioned wouldn't care the same, I'd go with POTR or Wildwood. Just my thoughts.
Thank you for your insights, it gives me a little more confidence about who to order from. There are no shops nearby other than the usual Guitar Center, but certainly no Ric shops. I did get a great 360/12 from the Music Zoo in NYC, and would also recommend them. But I have to go where the MG (or walnut) 4003 is in stock.

Craig
2007 Guild F412 Blond

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”