Need help with disassembly for cleaning

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Need help with disassembly for cleaning

Post by loverickbass »

I just picked up a model G and it's got all kinds of stuff rolling around on the insides. I've taken all the screws loose but I'm still running into resistance while trying to lift the horseshoe up. Any suggestions? Did I miss something?

Cole

gbart14

Re: Need help with disassembly for cleaning

Post by gbart14 »

Is this a steel body? I just bought a steel body Deluxe and had to take it all apart. Horseshoe pick up assy was a bit tight but with a little wiggling, got it done. Reason I took it apart was that it was not working and had junk rattling around inside. I discovered a ton of black plastic looking kind of stuff that had been either poured or injected into the back of the metal shell at one point. I guess to reduce some of the vibration? Does not look factory. The stuff had been in there a long time because it was all very brittle and broke up easily. I chipped it all out, pulled out the electrics, cleaned it all up and put it back together. Works fine, now. Mine also has newspaper stuffed in it from 1948 - Los Angeles Examiner Dec 8, 1948. FYI, has number G9-78 stamped into the head. It is chrome with gold plating. Would like to collaborate on any other G series owners.
Thanks
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Yeah it's a steel body. I guess I'll give it another try. Thanks for the info.

Cole
gbart14

Post by gbart14 »

I have a couple of photos showing the PU removed and the black junk. It all just crumbled apart. The pots are pretty dirty. Think I will replace them. Does anyone know the significance of the G9-78 serial number??

Ref: Strings. Anyone have recommendation for strings sizes. FYI, the guitar came with new Rick strings in the original paper sleeves.
Thanks
gbart14

Post by gbart14 »

Somehow cannot get images to paste in so I can show the dis-assembly. Any hints? Thanks
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

I finally got mine taken apart and I found ROCKS inside. Yes, rocks along with a mile of tissue wrapping paper from long ago. haha
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

loverickbass wrote:I finally got mine taken apart and I found ROCKS inside. Yes, rocks... haha
Are they Jetglo Rocks?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:
loverickbass wrote:I finally got mine taken apart and I found ROCKS inside. Yes, rocks... haha
Are they Jetglo Rocks?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Why yes they are! No kidding.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

The chips looked like broken bakelite, put then after I dug it all out I found the mother.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”