Please help me identify my amp.

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

runstendt

Please help me identify my amp.

Post by runstendt »

Hey everybody,

I've had this amp for nearly a decade at this point, and I think the time has some for me to let someone else enjoy it. However, before I let it go, I'd like to know exactly what it is. I've never seen another one, not even a picture. When I bought it on eBay it was advertised as being a prototype, but I'd would rather ask you guys about it. So, does anyone know anything about my amp. It has two inputs, tremolo, distortion, and uses a two button footswitch that I wish I had. The serial number is U0 006680. I can't read what it says for the model. By the way, it still sounds great. I used to gig with it for a while, and the only issue sound wise is that the volume and tone pots could use a cleaning. So that's my amp. Any info anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Mario
Amp Front.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Please help me identify my amp.

Post by jps »

Not sure of the model, but I think that is not the original grill cloth, someone correct me if I am wrong, thanks.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: Please help me identify my amp.

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

runstendt wrote: The serial number is U0 006680. I can't read what it says for the model.
- Mario
The Serial number is actually UO 6680 (you always delete the first two zeros on amp SN's). Meaning it was made in March 1981.

As to what it is - it is a TR series solid state amp. Specific model number should be stenciled on the chassey on the metal part of the amp - right above the SN.
tr14 SN.jpg
Oh and the grill cloth being grey is likely original. 70s era amps had black ones, grey got introduced in the early 80s. My TR25 from 1983 has the grey as well.
my TR25-fullsize.jpg
Comparing the picture of your amp to others in the register - it looks to be newer then 1981 - which conflicts with the date given by the SN.
http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... 29&order=5

By 1984 RIC introduced the R or RG series which had a front panel similar to yours. Perhaps it was an early prototype to show the proposed changes.

Bob Rissi was the head of RICs amplifier department for many years.

It is definitely a Rickenbacker amp... More pics would help - especially of the underside.

EDIT - actually U0 6680 may be correct after all. I found this one a RG16T in the register
http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... 6order%3D5

Its SN is U0 6695 and it looks to be the same as yours. Made in 1984. Learn something new everyday!
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480