2015: Another Bay Area BARC, (Again) ...

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

woodyng

Re: 2015: Another Bay Area BARC, (Again) ...

Post by woodyng »

We will be on the road Saturday. (About 8 or so hours)
I will see about grabbing some chips/snacks at the grocery. I'm bringing all 5 of my Rick basses,and an amp. If there's enough space,i may throw my 8 string Fernandes or my Danelectro convertible in there,too.
I definitley want to check out the (host) guitar store while i'm there.
As far as songs go,i will do my best to follow along whenever i get the chance....
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

We arrived in the Bay Area last evening.
Gear that I brought includes the two JetGlo Double Bounds, the Atlantis and my Mesa Boogie Subway.
Should be a fun day tomorrow !
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Glad you made it up with no trouble. I spent a few hours this afternoon putting together some song sheets. I hope it gets us through. I'll be bringing:

Deluxe Reverb
Pedal board
Extension cord
Power strip
Acme Low B cab and speaker cable (speakon on both ends)
360WB-12
650C
maybe a 320 if it fits
case of bottled water
song sheets (four sets)
STANDS!

See you folks there...
If it is to be, it is up to me.
8mileshigher

2015: Another Bay Area BARC, (Again) ...

Post by 8mileshigher »

Doug, I'll be interested to A/B my 650 Atlantis with your 650C, in the same amp, as I recall you changed out the pots on yours. Mine is stock with whatever pots they came with in those early 90s models.

I'll also bring some sodas to BARC tomorrow ....
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Yes, mine is a 2000 model and always sounded dull. Turns out the nominal 250k posts (already a bit of a marginal value for humbuckers) were well below even that. Now have 500k volume pots and it sounds much better. I wonder if your earlier make has the same issue or not? I thought someone (Dane?) had found that the problem pots were mostly from a couple of year period. See you tomorrow. Thanks for helping out getting people informed and interested in coming out this year.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I noticed the same issue with the sound on both my'04 Cii,and my '98 Ci. All have 500k pots and new capacitors now.
Plus,I have chips and Pellagrinos......
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

I left the North Marin area a short while ago. See you all in San Jose !
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

For the first person who logs onto the forum who sees this...

So, how'd it go?
modrock

Post by modrock »

Great day, great people, special thanks to Doug, good to see everyone in the Bay Area again. I'm exhausted, but what an amazing day...

Gary F.
modrock

Post by modrock »

Look for photos to be posted soon !
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

Well, in my possibly biased opinion I think it was a good time. I have never seen so much Rickenbacker candy in one room. Gareth brought 9 basses and 3 guitars including some really awesome pieces and some work by Paul W. Paul brought 8 guitars including several absolute stunners. Kira brought her collection of short scales with a couple that Paul W had worked over and the AC30. Woody had his herd of bass goodness. Gary brought his beautiful fireglo pair and brown vibrolux. Rich had his Atlantis and a pair of jetglo double bounds. I had all jetglo guitars again. Harry drove all the way from Berkeley to join us for the last hour. He had his eight string ("twin" of Gareth's) and that cool walnut one from the 70's. My friend Don showed up with his fireglo '67 360-12 that he's had since the early 70s. Peter held his own with the drums.

The jam started late but really got going quickly. Don is an encyclopedia of Beatles and 60s music. There were a couple of epic jams on CCR and some other random chord progression. Harry, Rich, Don, and Peter did a cool version of Starship Trooper, so we had our Chris Squire tribute.

I'll post some pics in a few days. Have family coming to visit from out of state tomorrow. Thanks everyone for coming out, bringing your cool gear, your playing, and making BARC 2015 a fun time. Big thanks to Peter for the drumming all afternoon! Also thanks to the folks at Guitar Showcase for the room. We are welcome back again, so look for another BARC event perhaps in the spring if folks are up for it.

A P

p.s. I'm sure I left someone and/or something out. Apologies in advance if I did. What happened to Steve F?
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

You covered it pretty much completely,Doug!
Great setting,very cool people,lots of incredible guitars and basses,(omg where to start?),and some epic jams....
It was fab to see old friends again,as well as some new faces,and our new host. Wish i lived closer,but it was worth the trip to hang out,see everybody,and talk (and play) Ricks!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

What everyone else said ..... It was a fantastic afternoon with a great crowd of BARCers and their exquisite Rickenbackers on display as well as plugged in and jamming away.

A big hats off to Doug for arranging and setting up such an enjoyable event and a big round of applause to Richard Longacre and all the staff at Guitar Showcase for sponsoring BARC and providing such a nice performance room/stage and all the P.A., mikes, drum kit (and the air conditioning too !). What a great Music store Guitar Showcase is !!

It was great to see and jam with Doug, Kira, Gary F, Gareth, Paul W, Woody, Harry, first-time attendee Don who brought his 1967 360-12 with chequered binding and he sang and knew the arrangements for lots of songs; and a tip of the hat goes to the outstanding drummer Pete, who provided a strong back beat all afternoon. It was great doing a few songs with everyone !

I'll post some pictures the end of the week after I get back to L.A. - and size them down for posting
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Doug -- re your inquiry about Steve, he e-mailed me the day before with apologies that something came up. And he had to cancel out. :( Steve is going to try and make it to the next SCARF event.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

And the Snowman's souped up AC-30 made an appearance at BARC, as this amp is now in Kira's arsenal ! There's something about the tone of those short-scale 320 models played through a Vox with Alnico Blue Speakers ... 8) :)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”