Lets talk about horseys

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Re: Lets talk about horseys

Post by soundmasterg »

From everything I've heard, the Lollars sound authentic. I have one of his early ones, but have not put it into an instrument yet so I can't tell you how it sounds. Perhaps some others who have tried it can comment.

Greg
rictified

Post by rictified »

squirebass wrote:Sepp, does Sergio do horseshoes, or just rewinding? I haven't really talked with him since the days when we both had 21 fretters! I love the tone on those old horseys, but it seems like Squire was the only one able to get one that worked like a charm.. The 4003 bass in question is a 2009 model,so its got adjustable polepieces, wide inlays, pull up tone knob for the .47 capacitor, plus its just a really nicely made bass -- neck is a little bit chunky, but if she had checker binding, why I just might marry her!!! :oops: :lol: :oops:
I'm not positive about this but it seems to me that Squire got most of his tone out of the neck pickup. I can replicate his sound pretty closely with the nick pickup and a pick on my 79 4001, course it has a Sergio neck pickup in it which really sounds great.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

I think you're right about Squire's neck pickup Bob - I recently saw an interview with Chris, on tour a couple of years ago, where he states that the horsie in his RM has a very low output.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Ashgray wrote:I think you're right about Squire's neck pickup Bob - I recently saw an interview with Chris, on tour a couple of years ago, where he states that the horsie in his RM has a very low output.

Ash
Yes,but that low ouput pickup was feeding into an alledgedly superhot Marshall tube amp!
The last time i saw Yes,Chris played his Fish out of water bass for 2 songs,and there was a distinct difference in the sound he got from it,compared to the RM,mainly,it was less clear sounding.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:
Ashgray wrote:I think you're right about Squire's neck pickup Bob - I recently saw an interview with Chris, on tour a couple of years ago, where he states that the horsie in his RM has a very low output.

Ash
Yes,but that low ouput pickup was feeding into an alledgedly superhot Marshall tube amp!
The last time i saw Yes,Chris played his Fish out of water bass for 2 songs,and there was a distinct difference in the sound he got from it,compared to the RM,mainly,it was less clear sounding.
That would make sense as the FOOW bass is basically a C64, correct, with much hotter pickups?

The 4004L SPC can get a very nice Squire tone with its short magnet neck toaster (3.598K Ω) alone.
Michael4bass

Post by Michael4bass »

rictified wrote:
I'm not positive about this but it seems to me that Squire got most of his tone out of the neck pickup. I can replicate his sound pretty closely with the nick pickup and a pick on my 79 4001, course it has a Sergio neck pickup in it which really sounds great.
Yes Bob, you're right. Watch his Star Licks Master Class video, he plays the majority of it on the neck pickup, and when he does add the horsey, it sounds like he switched on a bright switch.

Bassically, Michael
1973 4001 MG
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Sorry for the long delay.
Here are pics of the 4001CS RI HS,the Lollar horse shoe pickup and next to it a 1965 lapsteel horse shoe.

As you can see,the room for string clearance between the bobbin and the underside of the shoes on the Lollar is really tight.
I had to remove it and put the RI back in.

The black plastic base on the 1965 is off my CS RI HS.
The mounting screw threads burred away on the CS RI plastic base (luckily while practicing) and the HS sank into the body!
I think all the disturbance of removal and replacement must have worn the thread.
Fortunately I used the aluminium base from the 1965 pup and installed it as the base for my CS RI HS.

I just need to get the bobbin on the 65 converted to a four pole and I can swap the RI for a genuine 65 HS.

I lost the name of the UK pickup guy that can do the conversion so if you know please tell me again!
Attachments
100_0599 small file.jpg
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0396.JPG
IMG_0395.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Is the aluminum baseplate also by Lollar? It is really thick, as are the shoes themselves compared to the lapsteel shoes.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Yes.
The Lollar is straight out of the box.
The aluminium baseplate from the lapsteel is thinner as is the plastic one.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I will be selling the Lollar UK only though.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

I'd definitely be interested in that, Pete!

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Michael4bass wrote:
rictified wrote:
Yes Bob, you're right. Watch his Star Licks Master Class video, he plays the majority of it on the neck pickup, and when he does add the horsey, it sounds like he switched on a bright switch.

Bassically, Michael
I would agree, I have that Star Licks video, and his RM horsey is very hi-fidelity!

Glad to see this thread has been revived, very good info in here regarding the Lollars
soundcity5150

Post by soundcity5150 »

Hi and sorry for digging up this old thread :wink:

But I'd like to know....

1.In case of unwounding a RI Horseshoe to ca. 6.8k-7.4k ,would it make sense to remove the 3rd. cap. or should it stay inside to come closer to the original Rick sound of the 60's ??

And there I will come to question #2 :

Do the older RM1999 had the 3rd. cap. or not ?
I asked two guys who own a real 64 '.
And both showed me photos under the pickguard.
And there were no 3rd. cap.

And that makes me unsure for a little.
I thought that EVERY 4001 had the 3rd cap. Don't they ???
Or could it be that the pre owners removed the caps in the past ?

On the other hand, I wonder why a V63 does not have a third cap !?
What is historically correct,now ?

I own myself a 4001CS and a V63,both from '91.
They both have the 12k toaster and 12k horseshoe.

Both horseshoes were so much fat and dark sounding.
After I installed Danes 60' harnesses with the 3rd cap it all sounds brighter/beautifull and a Chris Squire sound was heard at once.

I'm asking because I wanna try to have my Ricks as close as possible to the older one.

Cheers,
Michael
teeder

Post by teeder »

Welcome, Michael.
I own myself a 4001CS and a V63,both from '91.
The best thing to do is sell that nasty old '91 V63 to me! :mrgreen: I've been looking for one of them without much luck. :cry:

Actually, the CS's and V63's did not have caps and I'm pretty sure the C64's didn't also, though I've never had one of those.
The C64's had lower windings in the pu's, which I'm sure helps clean up their tone.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

soundcity5150 wrote:I'm asking because I wanna try to have my Ricks as close as possible to the older one.

Cheers,
Michael
You want to put the currently produced scatterwound toaster in the 4001CS and unwind the horseshoe to around 8K Ω or so.

Then, or before doing that work, sell the V63 to Kevin, as that would be your good samaritan deed of the year for all mankind, really. :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”