'69 Fender Malibu For Sale

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

randyz
Advanced Member

'69 Fender Malibu For Sale

Post by randyz »

Still making room for new acquisitions. This is a '69 Fender Malibu acoustic guitar. Obviously Fender was never known for their acoustics, but I played this for many years. The guitar looks okay but could really use a proper set-up to play better. Lots of little scratches and minor dings, but would look very nice on stage. Of course a previous owner etched his Texas driver's license number near the strap button. I bought this about 20 years ago, because it looks so much like the Malibus played by Ray and Dave Davies (of The Kinks) and Graham Nash (of The Hollies) circa 1965-1967. I don't consider this to be a vintage collectable, so price is very negotiable. Please PM for questions and details. Here are some photos:
IM000621.JPG
IM000622.JPG
IM000623.JPG
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Re: '69 Fender Malibu For Sale

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Found this digging through the old threads and thought I'd post a pic of these guitars. Roger Rossmeisl's design features on the Fender Malibu causes me to think of the relationship of the various pioneers in the Southern California guitar business. The biggest difference that I'm aware of between randyz' 1969 model and the '65 pictured here is the back-sprayed plexi pick guard, definitely a Rossmeisl motif. Also the shape of the bridge plate. Around the sound hole is a checkerboard rosette, which also harkens to Rossmeisl's touch. It's a fun guitar to play; a real strummer.

The Hofner reflects my love of the Beatle Bass, both for it's association with McCartney and as a great bass in its own right. As I've learned more about the music scene in post-WWII Britain the company's arch top acoustics have found a place in my world and collection. Not to mention all those pictures of Harrison playing one as a kid! This one is in very nice condition; I mostly keep it in the case but pull it out often to play; it sees use.

Thanks for letting me share the photo!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Just to add that I was happy to find this particular Malibu on ebay in its well worn condition. I didn't pay a lot for it and the work that's been done and work that remains to be done seems like a fair price for the easy mood this guitar emanates. It's hard to see in the picture, but a previous owner had put metal postbox letters across the body, down below the bridge. It used to show a lot more but the evidence has faded in the ten or so years I've had the guitar. Also, if anyone has been curious about internally mounted guitar pickups, I recently added a K&K "Western Pure" and it is great! No preamp and everything needs to be dialed in at the amp, but you can plug it in to anything and it sounds good.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Playin' in a string band at the Country Fair this year. Needed a guitar in the promo shot and the Malibu seemed appropriate. I'll actually be playing a funky Roth fiberglass string bass.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Jeff's post of Bobby Broom doing "Can't Buy Me Love" got me thinking about the Hofner, so here's another view.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kiddwad57 wrote:Jeff's post of Bobby Broom doing "Can't Buy Me Love" got me thinking about the Hofner, so here's another view.
8) It is nice to see one being played on a regular basis (Bobby's).
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Whaddya mean? I'm a regular bassist! Anyway, that guy's an interesting guitarist. How'd you come across his work?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I recently read a Fretprints article in Vintage Guitar on Bobby. If you don't read VG, you should check the magazine out, it is the best guitar related magazine I have come across.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Vintage Guitar is great. Do you ever check out Mojo?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I don't know Mojo, except for what my instruments exude! :mrgreen:
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It's a British magazine. I think that Mojo magazine was created out of the remnants of New Musical Express. They feature articles on musicians of days gone by as well as modern times. Usually a rock music focus. Great filters of albums and books.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Jamming on the acoustics over the changes to Traffic's Freedom Rider.

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”