The genius of Chris Squire
jps
RRF Consultant

Machine Messiah

Post by jps »

woodyng

Re: Machine Messiah

Post by woodyng »

This was from the last tour i was able to attend,(nashville 2008 )and a great show. There was a very definite difference in the sound of this 4003 and Chris' RM. (the RM had the clankity/clarity over this one's hotter sound).
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I do believe there is a difference between the 2 basses. Still, with the mids dropped out that much, I doubt you'd hear much difference between the 2!!! :mrgreen:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Badanovski wrote:I do believe there is a difference between the 2 basses. Still, with the mids dropped out that much, I doubt you'd hear much difference between the 2!!! :mrgreen:
Well,this bass was the muddier one,which was kind of my point.... 8)
I also have the dvd this performance was taken from,and the RM sounds clearer than this bass on the tracks where it's used.
As i mentioned,it was quite noticeable in person.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Perhaps Chris used the FOOW bass is that was the sound he wanted for this song at that time and tour? It is definitely darker/warmer, etc. but that may have been deliberate.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D
:mrgreen: What's wrong with (early) Black Sabbath? They were one of the first bands I learned bass lines for when I started playing bass. 8)

And, it is a shame how many people I have come across who thought Drama was a terrible album. :roll:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:
woodyng wrote:The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D
:mrgreen: What's wrong with (early) Black Sabbath? They were one of the first bands I learned bass lines for when I started playing bass. 8)

And, it is a shame how many people I have come across who thought Drama was a terrible album. :roll:
Nothing at all wrong with (early) Sabbath,that first album is great,and still a favorite. But not exactly Yes-like. 8)
I agree that Drama is fantastic,it is easily in my top 3 Yes studio albums.It was just an initial reaction to the guitar intro sound being kind of unusual for Yes Music,or Steve Howe. I felt the same way the very first time i heard the intros to "owner",and "heat of the moment" as well. It was like,"total heaviosity,Man!" :lol:
ram

Post by ram »

To me this is one of the top Yes tunes to see preformed live! That is where everything comes alive in this tune (no pun intended). I think it sounds better live and just really how it should be appreciated.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
pekka

Post by pekka »

jps wrote:
[/quote]

Me too. And there's of course the Yes connection with Wakeman playing piano and synth on "Sabra Cadabra" on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" album.
I'm a big fan of their 1973-78 period when they were more experimental and downright proggy. "Never Say Die" is their "Drama". An overlooked and misunderstood album.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'll have to check that out, Pekka. Bt 1973 I was immersing myself in Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc., and pretty must forgot about Black Sabbath!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”