Machine Messiah

The genius of Chris Squire

Machine Messiah

Postby (jps) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:06 pm

"It is better to have talent and not be recognized for it than it is to be recognized as having no talent." - JPS
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Re: Machine Messiah

Postby (woodyng) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:18 am

This was from the last tour i was able to attend,(nashville 2008 )and a great show. There was a very definite difference in the sound of this 4003 and Chris' RM. (the RM had the clankity/clarity over this one's hotter sound).
(woodyng)

Postby (Badanovski) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:22 pm

I do believe there is a difference between the 2 basses. Still, with the mids dropped out that much, I doubt you'd hear much difference between the 2!!! :mrgreen:
(Badanovski)

Postby (woodyng) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:11 pm

Badanovski wrote:I do believe there is a difference between the 2 basses. Still, with the mids dropped out that much, I doubt you'd hear much difference between the 2!!! :mrgreen:

Well,this bass was the muddier one,which was kind of my point.... 8)
I also have the dvd this performance was taken from,and the RM sounds clearer than this bass on the tracks where it's used.
As i mentioned,it was quite noticeable in person.
(woodyng)

Postby (jps) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Perhaps Chris used the FOOW bass is that was the sound he wanted for this song at that time and tour? It is definitely darker/warmer, etc. but that may have been deliberate.
"It is better to have talent and not be recognized for it than it is to be recognized as having no talent." - JPS
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Postby (woodyng) » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:56 pm

The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D
(woodyng)

Postby (jps) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:25 am

woodyng wrote:The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D

:mrgreen: What's wrong with (early) Black Sabbath? They were one of the first bands I learned bass lines for when I started playing bass. 8)

And, it is a shame how many people I have come across who thought Drama was a terrible album. :roll:
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Postby (woodyng) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:49 am

jps wrote:
woodyng wrote:The very first time i heard the intro to MM,i thought Yes had lost it and become Black Sabbath. But that only lasted a minute... :D

:mrgreen: What's wrong with (early) Black Sabbath? They were one of the first bands I learned bass lines for when I started playing bass. 8)

And, it is a shame how many people I have come across who thought Drama was a terrible album. :roll:

Nothing at all wrong with (early) Sabbath,that first album is great,and still a favorite. But not exactly Yes-like. 8)
I agree that Drama is fantastic,it is easily in my top 3 Yes studio albums.It was just an initial reaction to the guitar intro sound being kind of unusual for Yes Music,or Steve Howe. I felt the same way the very first time i heard the intros to "owner",and "heat of the moment" as well. It was like,"total heaviosity,Man!" :lol:
(woodyng)

Postby (ram) » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:34 pm

To me this is one of the top Yes tunes to see preformed live! That is where everything comes alive in this tune (no pun intended). I think it sounds better live and just really how it should be appreciated.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
(ram)

Postby (pekka) » Sat May 14, 2016 6:04 am

jps wrote:

[/quote]

Me too. And there's of course the Yes connection with Wakeman playing piano and synth on "Sabra Cadabra" on "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" album.
I'm a big fan of their 1973-78 period when they were more experimental and downright proggy. "Never Say Die" is their "Drama". An overlooked and misunderstood album.
(pekka)

Postby (jps) » Sat May 14, 2016 12:32 pm

I'll have to check that out, Pekka. Bt 1973 I was immersing myself in Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc., and pretty must forgot about Black Sabbath!
(jps)
RRF Consultant

Return to Chris Squire and Yes Forum