The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

PeterJ

Re: The "I Got The 360/12 Tailpiece Restringin' Blues"

Post by PeterJ »

+1 on the capo for R tailpieces and Bigsby vibratos. This still means use of a cloth or cardboard to engineer the ball end into the slot on the R tailpiece on my 330/12.

I seldom use the capo for anything except restringing.

PJ
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.
Tele295

Post by Tele295 »

squirebass wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.
I haven't yet, but I am considering it
If I'm not with you
I'm not so much of a man
I'm like a fish on the sand
J_B_Sessoms

Post by J_B_Sessoms »

Tele295 wrote:
squirebass wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used that Winfield tailpiece? I was considering it for my 660/12 due to the two strings being right together in the same slot sometimes makes it difficult to work with them.
Anyone ever consider going the other way? Replacing a Trapeze Tailpiece with an R-Tailpiece.

I've been looking at a 660/12 the last few days (Don't need it, can't afford it, don't want it ... gotta have it), but I like the R-Tailpiece on my other Ric twelve-strings. Is there a way to install the R-Tailpiece in the place of a Trapeze without having to drill any new holes?
John Sessoms
'66 Rickenbacker 330/12
'81 Rickenbacker 360/12 WB
'01 Rickenbacker 360/12 Carl Wilson #476
'12 Rickenbacker 370/12
collin

Post by collin »

J_B_Sessoms wrote:
Tele295 wrote:
Anyone ever consider going the other way? Replacing a Trapeze Tailpiece with an R-Tailpiece.

I've been looking at a 660/12 the last few days (Don't need it, can't afford it, don't want it ... gotta have it), but I like the R-Tailpiece on my other Ric twelve-strings. Is there a way to install the R-Tailpiece in the place of a Trapeze without having to drill any new holes?
Winfield Vintage might already make a bracket for that, or could make one for you. The R tailpiece bracket is cast metal though, not cut stainless steel sheet, so it might not work that way.

But honestly - that large strap button bolt does most of the job of holding that bracket in place and the string tension. The tiny mounting screws aren't entirely necessary, I've mounted more than a couple 12-strings with just the strap button (screwed tightly in place).
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

You want this, then?
http://www.winfieldvintage.com/images/t ... e/0107.jpg

I might have one in my parts drawer, I've used it and Winfield's parts are great.
12_strings

Post by 12_strings »

The R tailpiece on my 370/12 exploded last year. I replaced it with the Winfield trapeze and never looked back. I did order a replacement R tailpiece from Pick of the Ricks to stick in the case compartment. As far as strings, POTR's custom flatwound Tomastik Infeld 12 string set (10-44) have worked out very well. Great sound, easy to play and they last forever. The only downside is that they are expensive. I should have sent the string bill to Rickenbacker after the R blew up and ruined the set I had on.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

collin wrote:What a bunch of whiners...

The problem is a lack of skill, not the tailpiece. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What Collin said.

Kidding aside, bend the string upward like Colling said; a 90 degree bend helps hold the string in the channel, and yes, use a capo to hold the string taught once its in the slot. the rag under the slots is a good ideal also, but I just do the bend and the capo.

The 90 degree bend is also handy for restrinng a Rick with an Accent VB, or any guitar with a Bisgby.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”