#playforChris2

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

#playforChris2

Post by miguelbass »

Here is the second edition of Play for Chris, with contributions from all around the world, demonstrating that Chris is always present and has left the musical inspiration for such a large variety of musicians!

Billsbro

Re: #playforChris2

Post by Billsbro »

Very nice, Miguel!

I am of course impressed when well-known musicians SAY that Chris was a pioneer and a huge influence. It really is true and that recognition is important.
But perhaps nothing illustrates Chris' influence more than something like this video...it shows that Chris motivated and continues to motivate us ordinary musicians to practice, play, and record. My hunch is that Chris would feel that this was his most important gift.

It is also clear that this was a labor of love for you. Thank you for tackling this and bringing it to us!

I know I am repeating myself (from previous posts) but your videos motivate me to practice and to try and better my playing. When a musician entertains us and impresses us it is a big deal, but when a musician motivates strangers to play that is ten times better. Thank you!
ram

Post by ram »

Hi Miguel, once again a great job! I'm sure Chris is smiling at this. I enjoyed it very much!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Lefty4003S8
Intermediate Member

Post by Lefty4003S8 »

Wonderful, Miguel.

Although I know I'll NEVER be the same caliber as Chris, he is the ONE that has moved/inspired me the most.
That sound, and the notes he played STILL move me to this day.

I am sure he is smiling because of you and ALL who have taken this inspiration and strive to push their playing to a higher plain.
Do not drink from the toilet when taking Lyrica
CanOpener

Post by CanOpener »

He passed away one year ago today, RIP and be with the Lord above now...Here is a tribute with a 4003s5 and some Squire bass lines...
P.S. RIP Bernie Worrell too.. I had to throw in some Funkadelic bassline too.....

https://youtu.be/LeMSH4Agm0g
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Very nice, thanks for posting that video.

Just for correctness, Chris passed on June 27th. The news went public on the 28th due to a tweet from Geoff Downes.

My last conversation with Chris, at the hotel following the August 2014 Orlando show was a good one. Some time ago I had entertained the idea of an RRF interview, as I along with many of you was getting tired of all the same old questions being asked over and over again. I had some specific questions pertaining to his sessions for the recording of "The Fish" from the Fragile LP, mainly some engineering questions and also about the use of any other basses besides the RM. Chris was fond of his Telecaster bass and it was used in some tracks on that LP (SSOTS, to name one) so I was curious.

I had wanted to do a more formal interview at some point, which was to include questions submitted by RRF members, but I nixed the idea for one reason or another. Anyway, Chris and I were alone in the lobby sitting area near the bar, the wives were off chatting, so I took the opportunity to get some of these questions answered. He spoke candidly about the session, which he had a clear memory of and then his beautiful young daughter appeared and they bid goodnight and walked over to the elevators.

It was only Chris and Xi, as Scotty and my wife were still chatting at the bar. I watched as Chris stood there holding Xilan's hand, then they stepped into the elevator and he was gone. Although they called several times from the Japan tour and after, we didn't meet up again. I still can't believe he is gone.

The last thing I ever wanted to do was see a Yes concert without Chris. But two months later they played in Clearwater, so we drove over, mainly because of the CS tribute that was opening the show. The concert was actually pretty good, but as I walked out of the theater, I realized that I had never before left a Yes concert feeling that they had just been "pretty good". I don't yet know if I can still follow their career without Chris. My heart just isn't in it. Time will tell. They are skipping the southeast on this tour, so that made it easier for me to sit this one out. Plus, the DRAMA LP, which to me is just so much Chris' record, well I can't imagine that being performed without him. No disrespect to Billy Sherwood, who I've always liked. The shoes are just too big to fill.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Thank you, Jim.
That was a nice read.

Without a doubt, the dynamic has changed. His presence was huge and the hole he left will never be filled. I had a similar experience when i saw the band last summer. But nonetheless, I still am pulled to see the remaining members whenever possible, no matter what the grouping/packaging is.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Jim - great of you to share those memories, special indeed. I think we are all still have a hard time at various levels. I won't have the chance to see them this summer, but if closer I would probably go. I'm sure the band has emotions all over the place every night!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”