The Quilter Bass Block 800

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

The Quilter Bass Block 800

Post by Kiddwad57 »

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/pr ... -block-800

Looks interesting and only two eq knobs!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
woodyng

Re: The Quilter Bass Block 800

Post by woodyng »

That's my kind of bass amp! :D It has the same amount of controls as my old Ampeg SB12 .
Seriously,that amp is really interesting,would love to check one out.
Wondering if any grit is possible without resorting to a pedal?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Who will try one out?? Not a horrible price....?
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

I've tried a quilter guitar amp, and it sounded so good, I seriously considered buying to 200watt heads to run rick-o-sound, but now I probably gonna give this new one a go.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

thisismusicinc wrote:I've tried a quilter guitar amp, and it sounded so good, I seriously considered buying to 200watt heads to run rick-o-sound, but now I probably gonna give this new one a go.

If you do, let us know how it turns out. A couple of my guitar playing friends get good arch-top jazz sounds from their Quilter amps. I have a new, long overdue bass bag on order so another cash outlay is not possible at this time. Otherwise I'd be seriously looking into one.
CruisinSusan

Post by CruisinSusan »

Kiddwad57 wrote:http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/pr ... -block-800

Looks interesting and only two eq knobs!

Would not mind trying one of these out when I can save up $600.
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

I got lucky and managed to snatch up both a tone block 200 (old version) and a bass block 800 used in less than a month. Both at a very good price, sold my old (newish 2000-era) hiwatt 200 with money to spare.
Over the last couple of years, I have replaced the old fridge (2x15 hiwatt cab) with two Phil Jones compact 8, each with eight 5" drivers.
So now I have a proper rick o sound rig.

I have tested both amps on their own, but mostly I’ve used both, and now I completely hooked on rick-o-sound!

I tested the Tone block while I still had the hiwatt, and though it doesn’t have the same warm tube sound, it dynamic in a way I like. I’ve used tube amps almost exclusively for many years, but with this rig I don’t miss it. I have the old version without amp settings, but as this is my effects amp (bridge pickup), I don’t miss them. It handels pedals very well.

I haven’t tried the bass block much on it’s own. It makes a high pitched whine for 30 seconds when powered up, apart from that, I’ve had no problems with either so far. Both would be a good option to bring on their own, depending on size of the venue and availble cabs. Oh, did I mention they’re super light, and fits in a 2U rack? Throw them in a backpack and I can actually bring my whole rick-o-sound rig on the bus!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

That’s something, to go from a Hiwatt to a little solid state thing like the Quilter. Like changing religions. For some folks even harder. According to threads at TB the high pitched whine is a well known ailment that Quilter is able to fix. Just a couple of easily replaced components. Maybe they have an authorized tech in your area.

Post a pic of your Ric’n’Rig! As someone around here said, “We like pictures.”

Return to “The Low End”