Wiring for 362/12 ?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Wiring for 362/12 ?

Post by kennyhowes »

Anyone here ever peeked under the hood of a Rickenbacker 362/12 (or 4080, for that matter)? I'm trying to think of how the heck you'd wire one up.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Wiring for 362/12 ?

Post by jps »

I would hope think that both Dave Pascoe and Jason Mendelson would be familiar with this.
Dom

Post by Dom »

I didn't get to look inside the one I tried out back in the day. The neck selector is a two way, one neck or the other. 9 lugs, on/on. The pickups leads go there first on my Danelectro double neck. the leads from the center lugs of the 2 way switch are then wired to the pots & 3 way as normal.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

I can put a few pic's up of a 362 and a 4080, but as Dom said it's a two way switch one neck or the other, a 3 way with a soldered stop on one side.

Interestingly the 4080 is quite unique ( for a 4001) in the fact it has the blend pot like the guitars.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

I think that I just came across a crude schematic of my 4080 wiring that I did some time ago and just unearthed in my recent attempts at filing away the accumulated stuff. I will see if I can find it and let you know if I do.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I had a schematic of one years ago when I did my custom 3000 doubleneck, and found it useless from a performance point of view. It was either one neck or the other being routed to the same set of controls. I wired each of my necks through it's own controls (VVT), then to a standard Switchcraft right angle 3-way switch, then to the ROS jacks. I can use either or both necks, and don't have to compromise the tone of one neck by having both share the controls. I did have the pickups on each neck going to a selector switch, then to their own master volume and tones, but I find the present wiring more useful. If one wanted to keep the stock guard, they could wire the pickups on each neck right to their own volume and tone controls then, the selector switch, then to the output jacks. Of all the ways to wire these, the stock way is the worst...IMHO.
Dom

Post by Dom »

^ the Gibson double necks have the 3 way neck selector and I agree it is a much better way to go. I had the Epiphone version years ago and used both on a lot and would tap both necks. Master volume, tone & pickup selector for each neck would be great. The Dano Bari 6 I still have is not very useful as you have to switch the tone knobs around each time you switch necks.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

doctorwho wrote:I think that I just came across a crude schematic of my 4080 wiring that I did some time ago and just unearthed in my recent attempts at filing away the accumulated stuff. I will see if I can find it and let you know if I do.
Found it, but it is very crudely drawn.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
craigs63

Post by craigs63 »

Kenny,
I assume you eventually figured this out? If not, I can take pics of mine.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

craigs63 wrote:Kenny,
I think I was considering an alternative to a 362/12 when I posted this. Then I got one. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

craigs63 wrote:Kenny,
You can take pictures anyway. Good to have the resource here for those who may need it, thanks. 8)

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”