1981 hi-gain pole pins

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

blue320

1981 hi-gain pole pins

Post by blue320 »

hello folks, how would I go about removing the pole pins on my 1981 ~320. I was told that they do no screw out on these older models.I want to install toaster tops I have but keep the hi-gain pick-ups. The plastic tops on these pole pins only look like they have a round hole and would not accept a tool of some kind... Thanks, Mike B.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 1981 hi-gain pole pins

Post by jps »

IIRC, you may damage the coils. Just cut the buttons off.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Cutting the buttons off of high gains so you can put Toaster covers on only lowers the output off the pickup. Hi gains don't have big powerful Alnico slugs like Toasters. Why do people keep trying to make RIC pickups that aren't Toasters look like Toasters at the expense of their functionality?
collin

Post by collin »

aceonbass wrote:Why do people keep trying to make RIC pickups that aren't Toasters look like Toasters at the expense of their functionality?
Because toasters are $150 and toaster covers are $25, and people already have hi gains.

I get the theory, but I've modified both early button type (by cutting the heads off) and modern type by screwing them in backwards from the bottom, both without any substantial difference in tone. Your mileage may vary though, I guess?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

aceonbass wrote:Cutting the buttons off of high gains so you can put Toaster covers on only lowers the output off the pickup. Hi gains don't have big powerful Alnico slugs like Toasters. Why do people keep trying to make RIC pickups that aren't Toasters look like Toasters at the expense of their functionality?
Perhaps?
vw rolls royce.jpg
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

What kind of hi-gain has round holes???
collin

Post by collin »

jps wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Cutting the buttons off of high gains so you can put Toaster covers on only lowers the output off the pickup. Hi gains don't have big powerful Alnico slugs like Toasters. Why do people keep trying to make RIC pickups that aren't Toasters look like Toasters at the expense of their functionality?
Perhaps?
vw rolls royce.jpg
Is that the Cheech & Chong bug? Far out. :)
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I have a 1981 320 JG and a 1981 360-12 FG WB ckbd. The pins are epoxied in. They contact the bar magnet on the bottom, bringing the magnetism up through the coil. At one point, I had a bar magnet crack. I finally fixed it, but in the time being I had no definition and reduced volume. The same thing will happen if you chop the tops off.

Please leave them along. If you want more traditional jangle, get 7.4k toasterwounds from the boutique. If you want more drive, watch for 12k toaster. If you want even more drive, more mids, at the expense of top end, get a RIC humbucker.

I mean, there is a reason why only after one year or so of production, circa 1969 or 1970, that RIC changed from the original pin polepieces to the button tops on the better known high gains. It is what I described.
blue320

Post by blue320 »

Dear Scott Pope, thank you for your info regarding the pole pins on the 1981~320. I'm gonna take your advice and leave well enough alone. thanks, Mike B.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”