gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Sticky finish - 660 DCM

Post by gibsonlp »

Hey guys.
My home studio is finally finished(!!!)
PANO_20170520_191505.jpg
I noticed something really annoying:
All my guitars were inside their cases for years. The DCM is now very very sticky and horrible to touch.
I tried buffing it with scratch-x but all I managed to do was to leave swirl marks, it is still gooey and in addition there are weird marks that appeared:
MVIMG_20171220_194743.jpg
Any suggestions how to fix this?

Thanks!
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Sticky finish - 660 DCM

Post by jps »

Great looking studio, Gil. 8) It looks like there are, primarily, hard, reflective surfaces. How does it sound in there? What are the internal dimensions of the room?

Sorry, I can't help with the finish issue except to say that I have read about this kind of thing a few times.

More importantly, How did you attach such large files? I thought the file size limits were orders of magnitudes smaller.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks Jeff.

The wall behind the guitars contains absorbing material anywhere but the supporting frames
The wall with the window has 3 large absorbing surfaces
The wall across the window with all the amps has a few abosrbing frames + 7 rotating panels that can be re-adjusted (maple on one side, abosrbing material on the other, takes a minute to flip everything (all my amps are on wheels...) and dry the room further.
The wall across the guitar wall is a resonator to capture certain frequencies as it has absorbing material behind the maple bars.

As for the image size - I think I enlarged it a while ago... Not sure... It doesn't work for you?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice room to have. My needs aren't as extensive as I always record DI through some pedal or other.

I'll have to try attaching a large file but I thought we were limited to 1280 x 1280 and 500kB.

Here is a test of some stuff I got recently that are in my music room.

Hmm, didn't work; a message says: The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1280 pixels wide and 1280 pixels high. The submitted image is 3597 pixels wide and 3552 pixels high.

You images are way larger, how did you do it?

BTW, here is the image in a size I can attach.
Stickley 604-354 1-2A-B - H Table Lamp-1200_2093.jpg
In a way, it is relevant to your thread as the chair and table were both made by Gustav Stick(le)y :mrgreen: in his's 1905-1911 Craftsman Workshops timeframe. The table lamp is a Bradley & Hubbard from a similar timeframe.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

With regard to the sticky/gummy finish, a local Riceknbacker owner had the same problem back in June, and I had found this Forum thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=411536&p=851604&hi ... ky#p851604

This comment by Paul W. is particularly informative:
Re: Stick/gummy finish

Postby Paul Wilczynski (jingle_jangle) » 14 Jun 2014 08:28 pm
Carl, these guys need to breathe! Since it seems that you don't play them all that often. I suggest removing the low E tuner on each one, and fashioning hooks to go through the tuner holes to hang them from. This will allow air to circulate around them. A nice cool dry place is best. Check them weekly and see how they are doing. If the finishes harden up again, wait awhile and then give them a nice cleaning and waxing. Avoid stands and wall hangers until they have hardened.

I would also airing out the cases while the guitars are healing.

Keep us in the loop and we will help as we can!
I hope that this will help.

Congrats on the recording studio! It looks great! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can we see photos of the control room?
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks Gary!!!
I'll do it.

Jeff: I guess I can upload whatever I wanted, I never noticed it but admins can do as they please ;)
The chair, lamp and table are beautiful, b.t.w :)

As for the control room: There is no control room (at this point). I did prepare everything to make our bomb shelter a control room, but for my needs - control inside the room is more than enough.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Don't know about Ric finishes, but thanks to this forum I'm learning. gibsonlp, your room looks fabulous, I remember when you started it, what three years ago? Very inspirational. JPS, that chair actually looks as comfortable as an overstuffed lounger!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Thanks, just saw this :)
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

Any long-term results to the finish? Did leaving it hung on the stand eventually help it to cure back to hard?
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

It did not :(
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I had one of each of the DCM models. The 660 was the only one that the finish didn't get sticky or checked, but I sold it a while ago. Still have the 360 which now has the case lining stuck to it and the 4003, which while not sticky, is checked really badly.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Those are still the CV finish, right. The UV cured finish didn't come till a few years later, IIRC. Odd that those finish issues should occur to them if the are CV.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

I think these were among some of the first finished that were UV cured.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

UV basecoat with CV topcoat started around Q4 of 2008. UV topcoat came in 2009. All DCM guitars were made in either 2006 or 2007.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”