Switching to Humbuckers, which pots?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sentionaut

Switching to Humbuckers, which pots?

Post by sentionaut »

Hi guys,

I’m looking to swap out the toasters on my 381v69 for some of the Ceamery Humbuckers.

Everything I read says I should chance the pots to 500k, should that be changed on volume and tone for both pickups?

And do I need regular or long shaft?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Switching to Humbuckers, which pots?

Post by aceonbass »

All of the pots should be 500k. The height of the shaft on stock RIC pots is 1/4", but any 3/8" tall bushing CTS pot is fine. The tone caps should be swapped out for .022uF spec parts as well. I stock everything necessary, and also build custom harnesses for Ricks.
sentionaut

Post by sentionaut »

Hey thanks for confirming that! Do you have a website with your harness options?
Jubal81

Post by Jubal81 »

Aceonbass is right on.

Didn't realize Creamery had these for sale. Just a couple months ago I had some Firebird mini-hums built into toaster cases. Looks like Jaime has gone the same route with these: twin blade design with Alnico magnets.

I really think it's the best money I've ever spent on a gear upgrade. Sounds like the best single-coil I've ever heard -- only without the hum. Like to hear what you think of think of Jaime's version.
sentionaut

Post by sentionaut »

Hey Jason, what did you do in terms of pots and caps when you put the hums in?

If 500k pots is the way to go on all of them, wondering if they need to be audio or linear taper or a mix?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

I would recommend regular audio.
If its still too dark go to 1 meg pots.
If those creamery hbs are firebird type pups, with the magnets in the coils, to my experience 500k will do.
That is about the sound of the ric hb1 straight into the amp.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

sentionaut wrote:Hey thanks for confirming that! Do you have a website with your harness options?
I don't have a website, but I do list several harness options on Ebay under aceonbass1 that show my work. Contact me directly via PM here, and I'll let you know cost.
Jubal81

Post by Jubal81 »

sentionaut wrote:Hey Jason, what did you do in terms of pots and caps when you put the hums in?

If 500k pots is the way to go on all of them, wondering if they need to be audio or linear taper or a mix?
500K audio taper for volume/tone pots.

One thing I did differently was use a 1MA for the 5th knob and put a 2n2 capacitor across the lugs with wires on that one. It makes the 5th knob a 'bass contour or bass cut" knob for the neck pickup. Let you dial out some woofiness on the 'bass' pickup. Love that little mod. Very useful.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”