Beginning to crave another Ric....do I need a 330?

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Tommy
Intermediate Member

Re: Beginning to crave another Ric....do I need a 330?

Post by Tommy »

jdogric12 wrote:
Tommy wrote:I am small potatoes here...I merely have three Rickenbackers.

Don't put yourself down... we all start somewhere!!! :wink:
Yeah, but it took nearly thirty years of playing to get to three Rics. Roughly one new Ric every ten years.

Ahh, Midnight Blue 620, you will be mine...in ten years.

RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Tommy wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:
Tommy wrote:I am small potatoes here...I merely have three Rickenbackers.

Don't put yourself down... we all start somewhere!!! :wink:
Yeah, but it took nearly thirty years of playing to get to three Rics. Roughly one new Ric every ten years.

Ahh, Midnight Blue 620, you will be mine...in ten years.

Well I’m on pace with you....every ten years. My 620 turns 10 this year. Unfortunately I’ve been playing 20 years now. Had I kept my 610 I’d be in much better shape! Of course with what I spent on small tube amps in the last year I could have almost bought another Ric....but need something to rock them through. You must quite enjoy that blue finish! I’d love to find a duplicate of my blue 610 someday. I’m a sucker for the Fireglo. It’s fun to see the subtle differences in the burst from guitar to guitar and year to year. I think if I do a 360 12 I’ll aim for the Mapleglo for something different.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

RicUpNorth wrote: You must quite enjoy that blue finish! I’d love to find a duplicate of my blue 610 someday. I’m a sucker for the Fireglo. It’s fun to see the subtle differences in the burst from guitar to guitar and year to year. I think if I do a 360 12 I’ll aim for the Mapleglo for something different.
That 600 shape in FireGlo screams too much Tom Petty album cover. I would probably go MidnightBlue if I get the 620 one day.

I am a sucker for tradition. The 12 string Ric just has to be FireGlo. Heck, all Rics should really be FireGlo. Such a classic, iconic look. I see you mention the MapleGlo. You really would have to see that guitar in person before you buy. I would definitely want to see the figuring of the wood prior to buying a guitar in that finish.
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Tommy wrote:
RicUpNorth wrote: You must quite enjoy that blue finish! I’d love to find a duplicate of my blue 610 someday. I’m a sucker for the Fireglo. It’s fun to see the subtle differences in the burst from guitar to guitar and year to year. I think if I do a 360 12 I’ll aim for the Mapleglo for something different.
That 600 shape in FireGlo screams too much Tom Petty album cover. I would probably go MidnightBlue if I get the 620 one day.

I am a sucker for tradition. The 12 string Ric just has to be FireGlo. Heck, all Rics should really be FireGlo. Such a classic, iconic look. I see you mention the MapleGlo. You really would have to see that guitar in person before you buy. I would definitely want to see the figuring of the wood prior to buying a guitar in that finish.
Tom Petty is the exact reason I always longed for a Fireglo 620! Even without him, it’s a beautiful looking guitar. Of the colors Ric offers now the only two I really dig are maple and the burst. I could see buying a walnut 360 if I ever get to that point, but that’s be many years down the road. Most the Mapleglo examples I’ve seen are quite nice, but I always like to play them for a bit before saying I want it....regardless of color. I’m jealous of your 12 string. By the way...!
VA Pilot

Post by VA Pilot »

I'm looking at getting a new Mapleglo 330 right now. Wish I could find a 1980's one for a better price Do not seem to be many options.

Really want this one, though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-rickenbac ... 1438.l2649
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

VA Pilot wrote:I'm looking at getting a new Mapleglo 330 right now. Wish I could find a 1980's one for a better price Do not seem to be many options.

Really want this one, though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-rickenbac ... 1438.l2649
Man that 68 looks like a killer. If I had the money....hopefully you can find an 80s one of you keep looking and are patient. I’ve seen a couole at about the price of a new model (which is likely reasonable since that seems to be a sought after era).
Pentti Saares

Post by Pentti Saares »

Yes, you definitely need a 330! I love my 1986 330/12. Rewiring it to stereo took about 40 seconds and I'm not a tech wizard. I also rewired my 320 to stereo and enjoy every moment playing them with two Rickenbacker amps. I made one stereo-to-mono-jack cable for occasions when I want to play just one amp. Go for it!
RicUpNorth

Post by RicUpNorth »

Pentti Saares wrote:Yes, you definitely need a 330! I love my 1986 330/12. Rewiring it to stereo took about 40 seconds and I'm not a tech wizard. I also rewired my 320 to stereo and enjoy every moment playing them with two Rickenbacker amps. I made one stereo-to-mono-jack cable for occasions when I want to play just one amp. Go for it!
You’re pushing me closer to the edge. I listed three of my guitars to help come up with money now. I’m looking at a 330/12 in either ruby red or the walnut finish....both make me drool.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”