Bubbling Finish Issues?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Re: Bubbling Finish Issues?

Post by coolhandjjl »

Just start out adding until the tailpiece sits too high. Then remove. It may be that the gap is paper thin, so get some really thin ones too. Shim stock works also. When under pressure with strings tuned to pitch, the tailpiece perimeter should just barely “kiss” the body surface. Not be pressed into it.

If you do use shim stock, you will need to bore three large holes to allow for the mounting hole protrusions, and two small holes to allow for the bridge height adjustment protrusions.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
teeder

Post by teeder »

You could even go into a woodworkers store and tell them you want to ‘glass bed’ something. They should know what you are trying to achieve. I’ve been told gunsmiths do this to some rifle barrels.
This is what I use for my rifles.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d1038.aspx

It has a release agent so the bedding doesn't stick to the metal. Would be handy for the underside of the tailpiece.
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

teeder wrote:
You could even go into a woodworkers store and tell them you want to ‘glass bed’ something. They should know what you are trying to achieve. I’ve been told gunsmiths do this to some rifle barrels.
This is what I use for my rifles.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d1038.aspx

It has a release agent so the bedding doesn't stick to the metal. Would be handy for the underside of the tailpiece.
Now you're cookin' with gas!

There's probably 10,000 types of epoxies out there all designed for different applications and having different properties. A manufacturing engineer or someone in contract furniture manufacturing could probable specify exactly what's needed. One that won't compress (or compresses the least) under the load of screws and the strings, sets up quick, releases if needed, VOC friendly, and cost effective. I just grabbed what was handy but I know there's something more appropriate.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
teeder

Post by teeder »

Something else that may be an issue with some epoxies, is heat generated by the curing process. Probably wouldn't be good for the finish.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I recently did some work on a Rick (Ace) lap steel with Brownell's Acraglass!!! It was perfect! (at least for inside the pickup cavity work - hidden).
teeder

Post by teeder »

It's pretty easy to work with, though I'm not good enough with it for something that isn't hidden.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Would a Hipshot bridge alleviate the problem altogether?
superdick2112

Post by superdick2112 »

A Hipshot bridge will only prevent the issue if it's installed before the finish starts lifting.
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

I had several Ric basses over the years. The older ones were well built.

Then, I tried a few Ric basses produced after 2010. I could not find a single one ( and I am talking approx. 6-7 instruments ) that were finished at the level they should. Fret job was absolutely horrendous on two of them, unacceptable, and most of them had finish flaws that should have never passed the QC. I would not consider any Ric bass built after 2010, or only if I buy it from Wildwood or a very reputable dealer who actually ensures that the Ric bass is fully and deeply inspected.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sloop_john_b wrote:Sorry, what exactly is the purpose of this thread?
legato

Post by legato »

That quote is from another thread.

It's irrelevant here.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

turlu wrote:I had several Ric basses over the years. The older ones were well built.

Then, I tried a few Ric basses produced after 2010. I could not find a single one ( and I am talking approx. 6-7 instruments ) that were finished at the level they should. Fret job was absolutely horrendous on two of them, unacceptable, and most of them had finish flaws that should have never passed the QC. I would not consider any Ric bass built after 2010, or only if I buy it from Wildwood or a very reputable dealer who actually ensures that the Ric bass is fully and deeply inspected.
For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my 2016 4003W.
iriane

Post by iriane »

This was referenced earlier in this thread:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/what-r ... 44/page-14
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

I feel really bad for that guy, he got royally screwed by RIC. For that kind of coin, I hope he hired a lawyer so he would be made whole on that deal.

Buying a special or limited edition is very very risky as when it goes in for warranty refinishing, there's no guarantee that RIC will be willing, or even able to recreate that special finish or treatment, or whatever.

Unless you have a premium credit card that offers boiler plate extra warranty time with money back on purchases the manufacturer fails to deliver on up to at least two years, you are really taking a chance.

As always, caveat emptor!
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
sarlscharisma

Post by sarlscharisma »

I have recently bought a new 2019 Ric 4003S. Does anyone know if the finish issues is still an issue today?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”