Spam

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
teeder

Spam

Post by teeder »

The majority of the spam emails I receive appear that they are coming from people on here. Is there something that can be done to stop that?

Also, I just noticed that a couple of the registered users that are on-line are "Bing (bot)" and "Google (bot)"

What's up with that?
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Re: Spam

Post by gellkeller »

teeder wrote:Also, I just noticed that a couple of the registered users that are on-line are "Bing (bot)" and "Google (bot)"

What's up with that?
They are bots which index (crawl) websites so they can be used under their respective search engines. It allows for fasting searching if you use any of their search engines.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brent is quite right. They do get the word out and to that end can be helpful.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
teeder

Post by teeder »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=415400&p=861724#p861724

I really don't care about the bots. That was just a side question.

I do care very much about the spam emails. They can only be coming from here.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Someone must have harvest e-mails, most likely, one of the new "spam" members that have joined recently.

I used to get these kinds of spam e=mails a few years ago from some "members". I just delete them/sent them to my junk folder, then get rid of them. Do not respond to these. I am certain you can tell from the text as to whether it really came from an RRF member, or not.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Can you please email me a few of the emails you receive along with the headers?

You can't harvest email from phpbb3 without actually hacking it, as of yet I don't know of any public vulnerability out there.

My email is my first name at my last name dot com
So long and thanks for all the fish!
teeder

Post by teeder »

Thanks, Gil.

Email sent.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Gil,

Did you get the email I sent?

I have another one.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Probably got deleted as spam...
:twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
:mrgreen:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
teeder

Post by teeder »

That thought has crossed my mind! :lol:
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

teeder wrote:...I really don't care about the bots...
Don't be alarmed, they are actually really helpful and perform are very important task in speeding up all of your searches for cat videos. They really make the Internet go around.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Cat videos? No need for those around my house. I've got one that could have his own website. :lol:
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

teeder wrote:Cat videos? No need for those around my house. I've got one that could have his own website. :lol:
Coulda, shoulda, woulda! Do the needful and watch that easy money roll in :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:Cat videos? No need for those around my house. I've got one that could have his own website. :lol:

Excerpts from a Dog's Daily Diary:

8:00 am: Dog food nuggets! My favorite thing!

8:30 am: A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:30 am: Chased the arrogant cat! My favorite thing!

10:30 am: Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm: Lunch leftovers! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm: Played catch in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm: Licked Master's face! My favorite thing!

4:00 pm: Humped the kid's leg! My favorite thing!

6:00 pm: Howled at the neighbors! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm: Wow! Watched TV with my Master! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm: Slept on Master's bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from the Cat's Daily Diary: 

Day 583 of my captivity:

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and myself are fed canned hash or some sort of stale dry nuggets. Athough I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape ... In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the floor.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

The audacity! There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to best use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released -- and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded! The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. The captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe ... for now ...

Me, I sit at the window and stare endlessly at freedom.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

cjj wrote:Probably got deleted as spam...
:twisted: :twisted:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
:mrgreen:
CJ ---- you have a great sense of humor !! :lol:

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”